CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:08 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

No SH@@. I tried DVD-RW in 4 different players (One of which was a PC DVD-ROM drive and it didn't work there either) and the only thing it has ever played on is my Cendyne(Pioneer) DVD Writer. I have never liked any of the rewritable formats for thier additional cost and significantly lower compatibility. Now my curiosity has been satisfied and until they release a rewritable format that is as compatible as the write once I will never invest in any RW media of any kind.
Old May 05, 2003, 01:10 PM

Make sure you read ***********.dvdrhelp.com before buying a DVD burner, its very much a possibility that your standalone might not be able to play the backups you make

Peace
Old May 16, 2003, 09:07 AM

I got a +RW with my Sony Dru500a and so decided to drop a movie onto it straight away. It worked flawlessly on my Sony 336 stand alone. I've now bought some 2* +RW Imation for data backup and these also work fine with movies. Neither media worked on my un-modded XBOX though.

Maxell and Bullpaq +R 2* caused skipped and freezing at the end of a movie and didn't work in the XB.

Datawrite classic -R 2*. 2 out of a 10 pack failed and ok on the XB.

Panasonic -R 2* Video. 0 out of 10 pack failed and ok on the XB.

Ritec unbranded (silver top) -R 2*. On my 3rd pack of 25 and no failures. All work fine on the XB and PS2 and various other makes and models of stand alone players.

I'd have to say that -R seems to have slightly better compatibility during my testing. If and when +R becomes as cheap as -R, then I may return to using those. Ritec dyed -R gets my thumbs up.

Connie.
Old Sep 09, 2003, 09:46 AM

Back to the beginning:

"The one advantage that I really like about DVD+RW is the ability to do packetwriting. What this means is if I am using DVD-R and DVD+R and I write to it, thatís it I canít write to it anymore. If I am using DVD-RW I can format it and write again, but what if I have one file that I want to change? On DVD-RW thatís not really possible. I have to format the disk and reburn all the contents. With DVD+RW I can delete that one file and add it without formatting."

I'm interested in doing this, and have been through the wringer and now discovered that it cannot be accomplished on the Macintosh platform. So naturally I'm skeptical.
Can you confirm that you've done this? What platform, operating system and software are you using?

My application is data, and am leaning towards DVD RAM format. However I have this Sony 510A drive that I should probably use if possible.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 09:40 AM

I have just bought DVD+R/+RW drive for my pc. I was wondering can you still burn DVD-r on it or just DVD+R. If you cant bugger as i have just bought 25 DVD-R disks with ritec dye as i just didnt think until i got home what i had done, They will now have to be sold on ebay............gutted
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:23 AM
Veteran

If it could burn DVD-R discs then it would be a DVD+R/RW -R/RW drive. If it is a +R/RW only then that is what it can burn, other than CDR/W's of course.