CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 17, 2003, 06:26 AM

Default "Messiah 2 slowly deteriorating ps2 laser"

sponsored links

^ Another installer has told me that this weekend!

He installs apple2, magic3 and messiah2. I came to him and asked him if he would install messiah 2 for me. We got talking about it and he began to say that he has had problems with messiah2 before but he will install it for me if i want. He also said that i was better off getting apple2 because it does the same things the messiah2 does, it is a cheaper chip, and it [B]DOESN'T WEAR OUT THE PS2 LASER! [/B]

Ok, i told him, "Only the various media types can wear the ps2 laser out"

and he said "true, but [B]BECAUSE MESSIAH2 HAS DIFFERENT BOOT METHODS, IT WEARS OUT THE LASER. YOUR PAYING FOR A CHIP THAT WILL DETERIORATE YOUR LASER IN THE LONG RUN, YOU ARE BETTER OFF BUYING AN APPLE2"[/B]

look, i've read COUNTLESS posts about users talk about messiah2 beign the best chip. But i have had a few local installers tell me messiah2 wears the laser out in the long run. these guys now what they are talking about.

i'm just letting everyone here know what i've been told about messiah2 chips.

looks like i'm going to buy an apple2 or wait for dms3.
Old Feb 17, 2003, 07:29 AM
Veteran

Rubbish mate.

Technically ALL mod-chips will wear the laser out as its the media that you can play that does it. In fact the laser will wear out even if you only play originals and never get the PS2 chipped, its a fact of life mate.

No mod-chip makes the laser wear quicker than another, its dependent on the quality of the media you are using, use a crappy media and the laser has to pump up the power to be able to read it, that wears it quicker.

Get the Messiah fitted, you won't regret it.

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Feb 17, 2003, 08:01 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

the neo2.2 damaged the laser didnt it?

nick
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:26 PM

Default Re: "Messiah 2 slowly deteriorating ps2 laser"

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by out4justice [/i]
[B] He also said that i was better off getting apple2 because it does the same things the messiah2 does, it is a cheaper chip, and it [B]DOESN'T WEAR OUT THE PS2 LASER!
Messiah2 is not same as Apple2. Messiah 2 have turn off function and support DVD9 media more. I think you might heard him wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:05 PM
Veteran

Many people attribute problems to the chip when the chip has nothing to do with the laser. What happens is a chip allows you to play CDR and DVDR media and these media require more power drawn by the laser therefore wearing it out a bit faster. But it's so small, that we are talking about over a year's time.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 04:18 PM
Veteran

moddogs and everyone else is right, no one chip will wear the laser more than another. Sounds like maybe he has a higher profit margin on the Apple 2 or something...