CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 19, 2003, 03:13 AM
Veteran

Default mIRC and messenger file transfer not working with SMC router

sponsored links

Hey,

I have a SMC router, but it will not allow me to send or recieve files to another computer behind a router. I can send and recieve from computers not behind a router. I tried forwarding ports and turning on the socks5 thing (i really have no idea what i did though) and none of that worked. I followed some tutorials but nothing helped.

Also I cannot connect to mIRC at all, and I think it also has to do with opening ports and forwarding them.

Anyways, if anyone can tell me EXACTLY what I need to do to fix either of these it would be greatly appreciated. I am currently on rogers cable, behind a SMC 4 port router and I know how to play with router settings through the ipsite. Winmx and Direct Connect both work in passive mode if that helps with anything.

thanks for any help.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 01:47 PM
Veteran

Do you have the "DMZ" option in your router ? if you do then great, just point the DMZ to the pc that is running mirc,

Otherwise you will have to use the port fowarding options which is a little bit more tricky, just open ports 1 too 10000 just to make sure you have the correct ports open, also open the UPD ports and TCP ports you will need bith protocols to comunicate

Im not sure which ports are need for mirc, but if you know just open thoughs ports and not the 10000

When you open ports your pc can be seen from the outside, meaning it can be hacked through thoughs ports,

My advice is use a firwall

hope this helps
Old Feb 19, 2003, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Thanks man, i'll try the DMZ option.