CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 22, 2003, 02:32 PM
Veteran

Question Why can't I access my other networked PC's USERS directories?

sponsored links

Hi there. I have recently networked my WINXP Pro system with my brothers WINXP Home system, through a belkin router. We can share printers, files, internet ect, but at the monent we can't share eachothers USERS + Windows directories. My computer has 4 users setup on it, each passworded, and say for instance my brother wants to access my "BEN" username directory, he can't. It says "access not allowed", and vice-versa.

I've right-clicked on the directory and selected "share with network" (or similar) but the problem is still there.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

~d
Old Feb 22, 2003, 05:14 PM

Its probably an underlying feature in xp, that you can't share username directories (i take it you mean "ben's documents").

The simple way is to move the files you need into "shared documents" and then share that. or another folder and share that.

Apart from that i am not sure.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 05:18 PM
Veteran

it's the permission settings that you have set on the folders