CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 22, 2003, 04:35 PM

Default CDROM Drive Not Reading and DVD drive crashing computer

sponsored links

My cdrom drive(52x teac i think....) stopped working a couple of days ago. I mean the computer stills see the drive but it doesnt read the disks. that computer is kinda old but well maintained k5 166 mhz.. 64 mb ram.. win 98 se
im thinking the lens is dirty or the mechanism that moves the lens is faulty. before that there were no problems with it. the drive was hardly used.. only for playing command and conquer. i tried changing the cables... removing it from the device list.. etc.. the usual things but to no luck.

my other problem is a dvd drive (some generic crap) that my friend has. i think its just faulty.. it came with the computer he bought.. a 1ghz system... 128mb ram win ME... it just stopped working on him one day.. when we try to put hook it back up it crashed the computer during the bios check.. i know there is no media in the drive.. i tried to hook it up to three other computers and they all crashed.. whats up with that? is there any hope for that dvd drive or should we just "take care of it"

i can give more details on either question if that would help.. im more interested in fixing my cdrom drive.. the dvd drive is less of a priority...
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:53 PM

how old is the cdrom, and how much do you use it? the laser may have gone belly up on you.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 01:00 AM

the cdrom is fairly new.. im thinking about less than 6 months... its been hardly used.. i mean hardly... in those 6 months probably i would say the most times its been used was just like 3 weeks ago.. once in a while just for playing red alert: aftermath.. thats all.. nothing big...
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:47 PM

^^

i tired putting it in another comp and still the same results.. i think the laser isnt reading it.. i know the cd spins for a little but thats it...