CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 01, 2003, 07:00 PM
Veteran

Angry THIS IS MAKING ME VERY MAD (concerning my HDD or OS, I don't know which)!!!!

sponsored links

OK, I have a 7200RPM 60GB Maxtor HDD and I am having to reinstall my OS every few days, this is very annoying. I get messages about how my system files may be corrupted or something. I am running Norton Internet Sucurity (firewall and antivirus). And I do not know what my problem is, and this is VERY annoying.
Please tell me what the problem may be. This has happened to me in WinXP and Win2k.
Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 01, 2003, 09:49 PM

I know it sounds obvious, but have you run a HDD utility like Western Digitals' Data lifeguard --> ********support.wdc.com/download/

or Maxtors' powermax--
***********.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
Old Mar 01, 2003, 11:27 PM
Veteran

Location: Antarctica (Yes, the penguins DO use Linux down here)

Reinstalling every few days. There's a new strain of Windows Rot going around...
Sorry, bad joke. Umm, what does Norton say exactly? Does the OS load, give some errors, and crash, or what?
Old Mar 02, 2003, 12:23 PM
Veteran

jmebonner, no I Maxblast came with the HDD, but I never used it, I thought that it was only for partitioning the drive, which I just installed the OS, and I didn't worry about the Maxblast software.
yoshter, I'll get the splash screen for the OS then a blue screen flashes (BSOD maybe???) then the PC restarts itself, doing the samething, but on one of my tries with the OS, the bluescreen stayed up (I am assuming that it is the same screen) and it said something like some sectors may be corrupted or something like that.
Thanks guys

BTW, could the HDD be corrupted? I am going to exchange it for another one next week sometime.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 01:36 PM
Veteran

Use a HD diagnostic utility to check your drive for bad sectors.
Your partition table could also be corrupted in which case it may require the deletion and recreation of the partitions on the drive.
Try a clean install and run it without any third party software utilities installed for a few days.
Check your System Event Viewer for any indications of failure.
Defective memory can also cause data corruption. Check your memory. Remove all but one stick and test ithe system, then replace the sticks in turn.
If you have an extra drive, do a minimal temporary installation on it to see how the system performs.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 01:46 PM

The two I listed are HDD utilities, They'll tell you if something is corrupted or wrong with the disk.