CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 2000
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:51 AM
Veteran

Question Event Viewer - Diagnosing Errors ? [; ; win2KPro]

sponsored links

I checked out M$ and saw a note that I could download a list of all Event Viewer error messages but there was no link. Not having any luck on these ... seen them posted on other forums but with no useful responses. As I have still been getting used to Win 2K, I just thought to check the Event Viewer to help diagnose my problems. LOL

[b]Problem #1[/b]

The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1
The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR0

Drive 0 and Drive 1 are the same HDD. 0 is the boot partition, 1 is the storage partition. These events are followed by a full system lockup that can only be remedied by a reboot. Often at reboot, the system will lock up right after booting into windows. Obviously I want to stop whatever driver this is from disabling the write cache as that seems to be causing the crashes.

==============================================

[b]Problem #2[/b]

An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation.

I haven't noticed any problems as a result of this error but I would like to get rid of the error as a precaution. Errors are never good.

TIA for any assistance you can give ... whether it be info on how to fix or even where to find the fixes on M$' website.
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:32 AM
Veteran

Disk error is event id #34 btw ... I looked that up and all I found was an issue where running an OpenGL screensaver can cause that error. Not the case for me though. Anyone?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:53 AM

With regards problem number 2.....are you running a Plextor PX-W1210A
CD-Rom drive ??

On another forum, the following was posted:

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period."
"An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom0 during a paging operation."

The above mentioned errors can be found in the Event viewer. They sometimes appear when inserting a CD-ROM in the driver. When this happens Windows Explorer doesn't recognise the CD-ROM. Plextor is a secondary master.

My configuration:
PIII 800MHz
Motherboard DTK PRM-0080I VBX
CD-ROM Plextor PX-W1210A

The response was as follows:

If you have not done it, suggest upgrading the firmware (***********.plextor.com/english/support/downloads/firm_1210.html) and Windows 2000 (********microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/sp2.asp).

Might also want to try here:
***********.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=51&source=
Old Mar 13, 2003, 02:15 AM
Veteran

Nope, running a Pio 105 DVD burner. Thanks for the link to eventid.com though m8, looks promising. That page also showed me how M$ lists the errors in their search engine so I can search there a bit easier for my prob. I'll hunt around there and update this post if I find a solution so next time someone asks, the answer will be available. Wish me luck.