CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 25, 2003, 04:21 PM
Veteran

Default DVD read problem on Win9X/ME machines

sponsored links

I think I posted this a while back but never got any real reply, I tried contacting Ahead, again, even my dog had problem understanding their answer.

I use a A03 to do data backup, these can be a whole DVD filled with data files, range from 100's to 1000's of files, within different folders.
The burn will go perfect, and the data can be read back on any Win2000 or XP machines without trouble.
But on any Win9X/ME machines, the Disc seems like only some or part of the disc can be read back, and after a while, the machines would simply hang, I guess its because Windows is having problem accessing the disc.
This is done on the same machine dual booting Win98 and Win2000, so the hardware reading it back is identical, and the same applys to another machine with the same setup.

I guess the trouble could be a FAT16 problem, like anything over the 2GB limit will cause read error.

Just wondering if anyone actully had the same problem, I tried burning the data DVD with UDF, but again, same problem.
Win9X/ME has no problem reading pressed DVDs, so I suspect the problem comes from the burning process, but after trying almost all configurations avaiable, I am lost.

Anyone know what I am missing ?

Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:51 AM
suspended

Seems strange that one m8.

Have you tried other software like Stomp at all?

If not it's got to be worth a try, I can't see how it could be a FAT problem as all the drive has to do is read the disc and if it can do it with a pressed disc then it should do it with a burned one.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:12 AM
Veteran

I would suspect your DVD-Rom drive. It sounds as though it has got "choosy" about DVDR's or maybe the brand of DVDR.

Have you tried it on another PC that's running W98/ME ?

It sounds as thought the burn was ok, otherwise you wouldn't be able to read it in WXP or W2000
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:30 PM
Veteran

The DVD were tried on as many PCs as possible, every machine with a DVD-ROM and 2000/or/XP can read them back without any problem, its only on 9X/ME machines, and btw, the 2000/XP machines are all running FAT32.

I have tried different medias, Apple, DataSafe, Bulkpaq and a few others, all the same, and the DVD-ROMs used for reading them back range from Lite-On, Artec, NEC etc.
Thats I am suspecting a software/burning problem, I think I tried VOB's DVD software a while back but had the same problem.

Lazza, if you are willing to trade your A05 for my A03 to solve my problem, please feel free to contact me