CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 05:27 PM

sponsored links

my current setup does me just fine! they only thing i was considering on upgrading was the vid card and only because i'd like to play madden03 w/ the best possible video quality it can handle w/out upgrading anything else except the vid card. although i mentioned it above, the music videos aren't a big deal to me but if upgrading the vid card will help w/ that also then that's even better.

this is why i'm asking what or where i can find info about what vid cards i can upgrade to w/out upgrading the processor. i'm running p3 450mhz/XP/416mb ram/30g hd. again, this setup is just fine w/ what i do 90-95% of the time on the computer. i'd just like to know what my options are in upgrading the vid card given my current setup. also, if upgrading my vid card is possible, will i even tell the difference given my current setup? like i sd before, madden03 (and future madden games)is REALLY the only game i'm interested in playing.

thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2003, 06:05 PM
Veteran

Well, the deccent video cards that are out right now, won't utilize your computer effeciently. For that reason I recomend a Geforce 4 MX series.

If you want recomendations on which video card to choose, post a thread in the consumer section.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 07:51 PM

sounds good... i'll do that.

thanks again for all the info guys!

Deo
Old Mar 27, 2003, 01:20 PM
Veteran

Hey,

When you look for your new video card , find out what motherboard you have.
Then find out what's the highest speed your motherboard can take. If it can get up to 750Mhz or higher than I REALLY suggest you buy a processor with that speed. This will take a load off your new video card. Other applications programs will run quicker and smoother.

Then check out out what type of Memory(RAM) your motherboard takes. Find out what's the maximum megabytes of memory the motherboard can handle. The memory your computer has the more applications can be ran smoother.

I really like Nvidia cards. So if your going to get a graphics card get a Geforce 3 or above. Since your computer is not hardcore gaming, I don't suggest getting a Geforce 4 Ti series. Getting the Geforce 4mx won't be bad to get. At least get a card that is 64MB or higher. The more memory and the more speed on the chip the more expensive it will be. In fact, I am going to do some upgrading myself in about couple weeks. Just getting a new graphics card. So I am going to have to sell my 3 month old Geforce 3 Ti 200 64MB graphic card. In fact I will probably sell my whole system if the price is right If your interested or for more specs on the card or my computer, you could e-mail me or reply here. This will save me time on posting on the BST forums later on.

Since your computer sounds a bit outdated, upgrading the hardware won't be expensive. If you add a faster processor(cheap now), more memory(even cheaper) and then with your new graphics card your computer will be sweeter than what it was before.

*I meant Geforce 3 Ti 200 everybody*

LATERZ DohDoh

Last edited by DohDoh; Mar 27, 2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 02:03 PM

hmmmm... haven't done any shopping around for processors. how expensive to upgrade from 450 to 750? is it simple to remove/install? i've removed and replaced drives, ram, pwr supplies, but i've never touched the processor. i've almost maxed out my ram... i'm at 416 now (128x3 + 32) and i believe it maxes out at 512. i will eventually swap out that 32 for another 128.

what would you take for your graphics card? you said it was a ge force ti... is that comparable to ge force 3?

thanks,
Deo

Last edited by dfarrales; Mar 27, 2003 at 02:06 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 04:56 PM
Veteran

DohDoh: what: Geforce Ti 3 200 ?
Him getting a Geforce 4 Ti series wil be a waste with his comp set-up, check the recomenditions too.
Closed Thread