CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Mar 27, 2003, 05:37 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Hey Deo,

I did a quick search on your motherboard and what its specifications are. There are quite some things you can upgrade that can make your computer run faster and smoother than what it's running right now.

According to the specs I seen :
***********.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/reviews/889/3/

Your CPU chip can only be upgraded to 500Mhz (without overclocking).
Now this isn't bad, but the problem is that it's a SLOT 1 type(Slot where CPU chip rests). Which those were the old days of Pentium 3, you will see minimal difference in speed anways. They are very hard to find with a 500Mhz processor spec and if you happen to find one they will be costing you money(around $70 +) than you have to spend. In other words, not even worth the upgrade. Pentium 4 1.4Ghz CPU chips are only $20-$30 more and they run twice the speed as the the old 500Mhz.
Replacing CPU chips nowadays are actually simpler than what you think. If you replaced drives, memory and power supplies than it is no sweat. In fact it's actually easier because you don't have to unscrew anything or get your hands really in there. It's basically just lifting the ZIF Lever and the CPU pops out. First you have to let go of the Fan first, but that's basically it. With your experience you have nothing to worry about.

Your Memory specs are PC100 Dimms (Pairs). Good news here, you motherboard can go up to 1GB of RAM!(1024MB technically hehe). Now it's not like the new DDR RAMs, but you can upgrade pretty nice here. What you could do here is for $20 you could get a PC100 128MB stick and increase it to 512MB (128MB x 4). To get more memory for $5 more bucks is get a 256MB PC100 stick and have a total of 640MB (256MB x 1 + 128 x 3).
You will notice some difference because you have 226MB more memory. It's not the fastest Memory out there (runs 100Mhz hence the name PC100), but you won't run into low memory problems and you can open up even more applications with no worries.

Having a graphics card that is 2 years old now is considered outdated, seriously. Your ATI Rage 128 GL came out in 1999! The specifications on it is not that fantastic, nothing to woo about hehe. The memory on it is 32MB SDRAM which is ok for browsing the internet, but to watch DVD's smoothly or play games on your computer well your going to run into some trouble.
In my opinion I do not like ATI because of their drivers and some compatible issues but other than that their cards are very good. I like Nvidia cards better, Geforce cards are the best. They have never given me problems and they are great for gamers and people that like advanced graphics.

I forgot to mention what Geforce I had, sorry. I have a Geforce 3 Ti 200 64MB. Very nice and brand new too. I only had it for a few months around 3-4 months to be exact. Here are some basic specifications on it :
-350Mhz RAMDAC Clock Speed
-64MB DDR 128-bit
-AGP Bus Type 4x/2x/1x
-Supports Direct X 8.1 and up
-Supports all Windows 98 to XP
-Full OpenGL, Direct 3D Support
-High Resolution and Full Screen Hard Anti-Aliasing
-and more

To see the actual graphics card itself or even more specs go here :
***********.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?Part_Number=064-A4-NV40-S1&switch=6

If you want to know even more information about everything e-mail me.

Thanks,

LATERZ DohDoh
Old Mar 27, 2003, 05:43 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ps2wiz [/i]
[B]DohDoh: what: Geforce Ti 3 200 ?
Him getting a Geforce 4 Ti series wil be a waste with his comp set-up, check the recomenditions too. [/B]
1.)Geforce 3 Ti 200, you know what I meant.

2.) I did say getting a Geforce 4 Ti series won't be good for him. Read my paragraph again please. Here, let me quote it for you "I don't suggest getting a Geforce 4 Ti series. " - DohDoh

LATERZ DohDoh
Old Mar 27, 2003, 05:47 PM

wow... excellent info dohdoh thanks for researching that for me! i'll need to bookmark that site for future reference.

anyway... ygm!

thanks,
Deo
Closed Thread