CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:55 AM
Veteran

Question "My Computer" history in Internet Explorer???

sponsored links

I just got a new rig with Windows XP Homewhich comes with Internet explorer 6. So far I haven't had too many problems with the new OS, but one thing bugs me. This may have been around before, but I never noticed it. Suddenly I find that when I open the IE History, nestled in amongst all the other history of my browsing, there is a section entitled "My Computer" which has a history record of everything I have done on the machine. Folders opened, images viewed, etc. What's up with that??? What has any of that to do with "Internet Explorer" and browsing?? and how can I stop it? As far as that goes, is there a way to completely eliminate the IE History function?

Danged thing spies on me enough as it is without having to constantly open IE to erase the history every time I turn around in order to protect my privacy!

I don't use IE for image viewing. I have a program called ImageEye for that, so why is all this in the history?
Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:06 AM
Veteran

HTML and scripts involved as a backbone of Microsoft Os... Thats the reason. I Will try to find out the way (Registry Hack) to prevent it from being recorded.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:16 AM
Veteran

Thanks m8
I don't believe I'm the first to dislike this "feature"!
I know it will likely be a registry hack to prevent it, if possible, but I don't know where to look for those sort of things.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:30 AM
Veteran

I know a simple way to clear the IE history and its using Tweak UI. Download and learn more about TweakUI at ***********.forrestandassociates.co.uk/pcforrest/tweakui.html (Thanks to Harry O for the link).

But the above thing comes into picture only after a Restart. "Paranoia" Section of Tweak UI can handle number of tasks after restart of machine. Another thing is.... this will erase anything and everything from your History, which could be a disadvantage to person who wants to keep track of Browsing.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 05:52 AM

i use webroot window washer v4.8

you can download it from the likes of kazza etc but just for evaluation

ive just checked my computer and it only has what ive been doing just now

its really easy to use too.

hope this helps

jason
Old Mar 30, 2003, 09:49 AM
Veteran

I've put all my history folders onto a ramdisk.

Everytime the computer shuts down, everything is lost from the ramdisk!
Then, when windows (XP Pro) starts up again, the OS finds there are no history directories so makes some new empty ones on the ramdisk and the cycle restarts again.

Because the data isn't being held on any physical disk but only in ram, it makes it extremely difficult for anyone to recover the information - it would take some very expensive equipment to physically ****yse the electron migration of the ram chips to recover any data and even then it's virtually impossible!

It even speeds up browsing because everything is cached to ram which is much faster than the hard-disk!

To top it all, the ramdisk is free!

***********.arsoft-online.de/products/product.php?id=1

To quote the site...

[i][b]The AR RAM Disk is a freeware driver for Windows NT (XP) or Windows 2000. You can use this driver to create an additional drive in your physical memory. This drive can be used for storing temporary files (but not limited to), which can increase your system performance[/i][/b]