CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:24 PM
Veteran

Question Upgrade to Windows XP question

sponsored links

I have a new computer with Windows XP and after seeing it, my wife wants hers upgraded to XP as well.

My question is this.

Is it possible to do an upgrade to XP (keep all (or most) of the old programs, etc.) with a full version of XP? I would rather get the full version for her than an upgrade if it is possible to do this.

Maybe it would be better to re-install everything anyway, because she doesn't have all that much on it yet, but I have just recently done a mother board, hdd, and cpu upgrade and would rather not have to install everything again.

I have done a search about, but can't seem to get an answer to this.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 12:36 AM

Yes, it is possible. I upgraded to Xp from 98 with the full version of XP, and I kept all of the programs I had installed, and all of my files. It gave me no problems.

You can look in here also for a complete list of OS's that can be upgraded to XP.

***********.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp
Old Mar 31, 2003, 03:37 AM

Shoud upgrade with no probs. Once the XP set up disk kicks in it asks what you want to do, (clean start, upgrade etc.) It will then do a search to determine what hardware you have installed that may not work after you have upgraded.
With XP microsoft took a bold leap and many older bits of kit don't work (soundcards, scanners, t.v. cards, printers etc.) some you can get an XP driver for from the net but not all old stuff.
If all your accessories etc. are relatively new you should be ok, but if old stuff you might find your replacing most bits or searching for drivers.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 03:50 PM

If you want to ensure you can still use all your old progs or hardware you can do a compatability check first (an option when setup starts). If you have major problems you can always choose the dual boot option whichwill load XP into a new partition and give you the option of booting to XP or your original OS at startup - provided your HDD is big enough.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 08:44 PM
Veteran

imho,
i have upgraded from 95 to 98, from 98 to Me and from Me to XP, and every time i`ve eventually ended up doing a full clean install of the os for one reason or another.
so clean full install gets my vote.
Old Mar 31, 2003, 11:47 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by aaronjon [/i]
[B]imho,
i have upgraded from 95 to 98, from 98 to Me and from Me to XP, and every time i`ve eventually ended up doing a full clean install of the os for one reason or another.
so clean full install gets my vote. [/B]
AGREED! A full install is always better. You can also take advantage of the NTFS system w/ a full install. It'll retain FAT32 if you upgrade.