CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 11, 2003, 03:21 PM

Default Windows 2000 Paging File Error

sponsored links

I am running a dual-boot system with Windows 98, and Windows 2000. Both are giving me problems, right now my problem i need help with the most is the paging file. when im starting up the computer, right after the name and password logon part, i get this popup error:

limited virtual memory

your system has no paging file, or the paging file is too small.

1. right click my computer, click properties, and then click the advanced tab.

2. click on the performance options button, then click on the change button. under drive (volume label), select the drive you want.

3. to create a new paging file, click the initial size (MB) box, and then type a paging file size.

-or-

to increase the paging file size, click the maximum size (MB) box, and then type a larger paging file size.

when you have finished, click set, and then click ok.

the problem with that is though, i cant do what it says to do because explorer.exe hasnt loaded, giving me the option to do that. i have tried normal boot, safe mode w/ networking, safe mode, safe mode w/ command prompt, and all of them dont work. ive also tried the last known good configuration, and that didnt work either.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:28 PM
Veteran

I have a friend who had the same problem once with the same Win98/Windows 2000 dual boot. While he was able to access the necessary resources and make the suggested, the system reverted to the same state as soon as he rebooted (as required when you make those adjustments) and so did the error message.
This all happened because he was playing with permissions to keep his kids from seeing his prOn.
Anyway, not to worry you but his solution was a complete reinstall of both OS as the bootloader was on the Windows 2000 partition which he reformatted and could not load Win98 afterwards.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 04:43 PM

i dont think i changed any permissions lately, but im trying to do a reinstall of windows 2000, leaving 98 as it is
Old Apr 11, 2003, 05:41 PM

alrighty, installing a copy over the windows 2000 installation fixed this incase everybody ever searches looking for an answer
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:44 PM
Veteran

Is your hard drive full? If it is free up some space about 200mb should do.

Just noticed you sorted it but that was most likely what was the problem.

Last edited by uk_trader; Apr 11, 2003 at 07:46 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2003, 07:49 PM

nope, i managed to check from fdisk that the C drive had 10 gigs of free space, and the D drive that had windows 2000, had 3 gigs of 5 gigs of free space on it