CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old May 11, 2003, 09:03 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

I use my dell without the battery all the time. Mostly because I'm trying to make the battery last as long as possable. No one but dell makes a battery for the inspiron 1100, least as of yet. I actually emailed Dell and asked this same question. Their reply was that it doesn't hurt the laptop, but if you ever wanna use the battery later, it won't be charged and you'll have to charge it. Big deal, save me a 120 bucks for as long as possable.............
Old May 11, 2003, 10:59 PM
Veteran

Running a laptop without a battery installed is harmless. All laptops can do it (assuming its not defective) . Contrary to what a few people implied earlier it has no negative effect on the power circuitry. In fact, for older laptops that used Nicad batteries it was better to remove the battery once it was charged so that the laptop didn't continously charge it and wear the battery out.
Old May 13, 2003, 12:04 AM

i have a dell inspiron 2... ive never had a prob w/the battery... i use it quite a bit goin from batt 2 external power... i think they used 2 have some sort of memory in the batteries... but as far as i can tell this 1 dont have it... cause i still have almost 4 hrs of battery life... and its the 8 cell... but then i also use cpuidle... it cuts power 2 the parts of the cpu that rnt being used... gives me another like half hr of batt life... if i can find the link 2 that ill put it in here... i cant seem 2 find it right now though... have fun and take care... dont 4get 2 tweak whenever possible

james
Old May 13, 2003, 02:14 AM

nowadays laptop batteries r the lithium ion kind. these don't have the "memory" effect that plagued the nickel-cadium/metal hydride batteries.
Old May 13, 2003, 03:12 AM
suspended

Well, as long as you insist on discussing this some more.
I always have run my laptop without a battery. I never use it. It happens to screw in and is a pain to take out, so it is much lighter without it. Who is ever very far from an electrical outlet? Replacement batteries are very expensive so why use it if you don't need it. Laptop batteries only last on average a year or a bit more so....
Old May 13, 2003, 03:37 AM

a yr?... nah ive had my laptop 4 well over a yr... and its doin just fine... ive got the same batt life and power and everythin... i dont c how u get that... but if u say so... i just know that mine is doin just fine and ive had it 4 quite a while... oh and yah it is lithium ion... so that would xplain y it dont get that memory thing...

oh hey 1 more thing... i found a tip 4 ppl that use the older batts... if u totally drain the battery every once in a while... lave it 4 bout an hr or so then charge it 4 12 hrs or so... itll refresh the memory in it and ull at least get a bit longer life and power from it... got that info from dell... so i know it at least has some truth 2 it...
Closed Thread