CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 14, 2003, 12:06 AM

Default blank cd's not recognized [Yamaha ; CRW3200E; winXP]

sponsored links

Neither Easy CD Creator 5.x (for XP) nor Windows Media Player will burn audio files to CD. The drive spins and blinks when a blank is inserted, but the software either does not know there is a blank disk inserted or will begin to burn tracks and quickly kick out a Buffer Underrun Error. If I slow the burn speed, it makes no difference. Windows Media Player frequently cn not detect a blank CD in the drive, though the drive is listed as functioning properly in both MY Computer and the Device Manager. Easy CD 5.x at least starts the burn but then rolls over. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am using Memorex blanks and have plenty of HD space for temp files.
Old May 28, 2003, 12:00 PM

Hi Sam,

Had not seen this and posted a new thread with my more-or-less similar problem which reads as follows:

QUOTE:

I have a Compaq Evo laptop with a Toshiba CD/CDRW/DVD SD-R2312 combo drive.

I can read and write CDRs
I can read /Play DVDs.
I can read and write to PREVIOUSLY BURNT CDRWs.
BUT I cannot recognise any BRAND NEW CDRW. (Just as if no disc was in place).

The problem appears to start at the very boot up time of the laptop (has not event started the OS yet). The drive starts clicking in attempting to spin-up the new CDRW - which it never manages to spin-up.

The only work-around way I found is to pass on newly purchased CDRWs to a friend of mine to copy at least one small file to each new CDRW ! I then have no problems to use them !! Ridiculous but it works.

UNQUOTE.

Interestingly I am also using Memorex CDRWs which are speed compatible with my drive. Maybe in both our cases we should try a different brand ?
Old May 28, 2003, 12:10 PM

I came to the conclusion that if a blank cd could not be detected by ANY software program there was probably something wrong with the drive. So, I bought a new CD burner for $55 and installed it, knowing that if that didn't solve the problem I could just return the drive for a refund. Fortunately, it resolved all problems. It took ten minutes to install; I started Nero and bang, everything worked perfectly.