CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 22, 2003, 06:46 PM

Question networking JUST 2 computers

sponsored links

I recently got a new Dell computer with WinXP Home edition. I still have my old computer that is running Win2000 and want to network just the 2 computers right now. I've had broadband cable modem service so my old computer does have a Network card & the new Dell has an integrated network card as well. I've heard that you can simply connect just 2 computers together through their network cards without having to get a router of any kind. My cable modem can connect through either a NIC or a USB hub. I was then thinking maybe I could reconfigure the cable modem to connect via a USB hub (to the new Dell) & have the 2 computers networked together through their Network cards in order to share files & internet access. Is this possible or am I dreaming? If so, is it pretty easy or do I really need to know what I'm doing. Thanks
Old May 23, 2003, 02:14 AM
Veteran

It is pretty easy biscuitboy, the only thing that you have missing is a Crossover cable to connect the two PC's via the Nics.

AS for explaining how to do it, it will take ages to type out, so go to [URL=***********.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/]THIS LINK and do as it says and if you have any problems post back here.

It is really easy wioth the XP setup Wizard
HTH

Last edited by gooner; May 23, 2003 at 02:16 AM.
Old May 23, 2003, 09:46 AM
Veteran

Well I'm going to chime in with my 2 cents. A crossover cable network will work, etc., but I'd buy a router of some sort. The prices have really fallin' on them. The downside with this set-up is that which ever PC doesn't have the modem attached to it, the other Pc must be up and running for it to connect to the 'net. Also most routers have firewalls built into them for increased security, and are idiot proof to set-up. Trust me, I set mine up ..........just my 2 cents...........if you buy a crossover cable, either make one yourself (check googe for directions) or get a PC shop to make you one. Those prepackaged ones are just to expensive..........
Old May 23, 2003, 11:34 AM
Veteran

nightheart, I agree with getting a router BUT if you read the post by buscuitboy you will see that he distinctly says
Quote:
[i]Originally posted by buscuitboy [/i]
[B] I've heard that you can simply connect just 2 computers together through their network cards without having to get a router of any kind. [/B]
so obviously he knows you can do it via a router but does not want to and he asks what is the way to connect them both by the NIC's to which the answer is either a hub/crossover cable.

Last edited by gooner; May 23, 2003 at 12:55 PM.
Old May 23, 2003, 12:48 PM
Veteran

gooner, I did read the post. For me to post anything on a crossover network set-up would have been pointless, as you already posted a howto link. I was just adding my opinion, which can easily be ignored..............
Old May 23, 2003, 12:53 PM
Veteran

Sorry M8, thought you were generally replying, didn't mean to come across moody, had a nightmare of a day , go home in an hour thank God!!!!