CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 23, 2003, 01:03 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

not a problem M8. Go home and knock back a few, normally helps after my nightmare days............
Old May 23, 2003, 01:45 PM
Veteran

Will do in about 10 mins can't wait and it's Bank Hol weekend so I have Monday to recover
Old May 24, 2003, 09:14 PM

Exclamation Well, I tried but...

Well, I got the crossover cable & tried networking the two computers, but didn't have any luck. Even after trying the XP network wizard. They just never talked to each other. After reading on the internet, I'm thinking my problem may be the network cards I have installed in each computer. The older PC with Win2000 (300Mhz) has a 10MB network card & the new Dell PC with WinXP has a 100MB network card. Things I've read say that the 2 aren't really compatible.
Old May 24, 2003, 09:30 PM
Veteran

most 100 mb cards are really 10/100 cards and support either. Well most pre-installed 100 cards, so i dought that is the problem. A network icon should appear in the taskbar, does it have a red x through it? if not, then your pc's are connected, and just not set right. If there is a red x through it, then you have a problem. Either the connection is not turned on in the network connections setting, your cards aren't compatble, or you have a straight ethernet cable, and not a crossover cable.

Can the pc's ping each other? Open a dos window and type: "ping" and then the ip address of the other PC.

BTW don't feel bad about the networking wizard, if doesn't work for me a lot either......

Last edited by nightheart; May 24, 2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2003, 05:30 AM

my network was working well until the other day now i cant get it to work at all the 2 little tvs light up on both pc's but nothing is being sent between them if i click repair after abit it says failer to renew ip adress i have just installed btbroadband im a little confused because it worked for the first couple of days??could this be the problem if so how do i put it right
thanks
Old Jun 10, 2003, 06:51 AM

I'm new to this stuff as well but my understanding so far in what i've read that if you are using ethernet (10baseT) cable it has to go into a hub..this hub will allow for errors and you then have to have a switching hub which in between the old computer and the hub for the 100..(As I said I'm new at his so I'm not sure if you can use just a switching hub on it's own) but without the switch hub the two computers will not talk to each other . Don't know if that helps you at all buscuitboy

but i'm trying to gat a handle on this my self of you have a look at (Networking 5 computers..on this page)