CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 02, 2003, 09:12 PM

Default How easy is it changing a processor?

sponsored links

I want to upgrade my processor to the highest I can go the problem is I dont know how high my Motherboard will take. The thing I want to know is, how easy is it? Is it a matter of just uncliping the processor and replacing it with the new one, then booting up? Will I loose any settings, will the PC find the processor and set it? The thing is I dont know what speed I can buy I know my motherboard is a PC266 Socket A M810 LR system board but it says nothing in the manual about how high of a processor it will allow.

It says it can take any AMD DURON or ATHLON socket 462 processor with a front side bus speed of 200/266 MHz,. I have seen a processor that I want to buy at this website here ********security.cclcomputers.co.uk/acatalog/
it is a AMD AthlonXP PR2400+ (OEM) Thoroughbred Ref: CPUAMDTHB24
266FSB - 2000 Mhz - OEM - Requires Cooler

I am unsure if the Motherboard will take it, I dont want to buy it then find out the MoBo wont accept it. Can someone please help me determine if it will.

Thanks in advance

Lee
Old Jun 02, 2003, 09:35 PM
Veteran

Well, there are only 2 ways to determine if the mobo can handle it ... (1) is the manual or mobo maker's website (or anywhere you can find the specs) and (2) is your BIOS. Check to see what the settings go up to.

As far as how easy it is ... very. In the 'old' days you had to swap jumpers and such to change your CPU but nowadays you don't even have to do that. The mobo should auto-detect it, yes. You won't lose any settings or anything.
Old Jun 02, 2003, 09:49 PM

It is relatively easy. I found this info while searching with google:
"Version 1.6 = Support AMD Athlon 650MHz~1.2GHz / Duron 550~950MHz - 200FSB only (excluding Morgan/Palomino)
Version 3.0 = Support AMD Athlon 650MHz~1.4GHz / Duron 550~950MHz - 200FSB only (excluding Morgan/Palomino)
Version 5.0 = Support AMD Athlon/Duron 550~1.4 CPUs - 200/266FSB (excluding Morgan/Palomino).
Version 7.0 = Support AMD Athlon XP* 1500+ & 1600+ Palomino (and previous Athlon/Duron CPUs).
Version 7.0a = Support AMD Athlon XP* Palomino and ThoroughBred* 2600+ CPUs (and all previous Athlon/Duron CPUs).
Version 7.1 = Support AMD Athlon XP* Palomino and ThoroughBred* 2600+ CPUs (and all previous Athlon/Duron CPUs).

* You will need the latest BIOS to support these newer CPUs
* It is recommended to avoid XP1700+ and XP1800+ of the "Thoroughbred" (0.13 micron type- NOT the Palomino) type on any revision board. "
from ********radel.inet.net.nz/m810lmr.html (page might take a while to load)

so it depends on the revision of your motherboard, and if you do have one that works, you need to make sure the BIOS is up to date

As for taking the processor out, all you have to do is get a small flathead screwdriver (non-magnetized to be on the safe side incase you bump anything) press down into the area of the clip that you have a place for the screw driver, and once you are pressing all the way down, push the bottom of the screwdriver outwards at the same time. just raise the bar thats next to the processor, and pull it out.
put a new one in, making sure to correctly align the pins on the processor with the corresponding holes on the motherboard, it should simply drop into place, dont use any force. pull the lever next to the processor back down, put some thermal paste over the processor, and then put the cpu fan on, clipping the back side first, and then the front side that you had to use the screw driver on before. the right way to put it on is so that the raised part of the cpu socket is matched with the heighted part of the cpu fan. just reverse what i said earlier about taking the fan off, and you should have it in correctly.
as for settings, sometimes you have adjust the settings in the BIOS, or jumpers, but how do that will be listed in your manual
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:24 PM

Ok thank you, that sounds pretty straight forward, you say I need to update my BIOS? MY bios IS 1.0 AND i DONT KNOW ABOUT UPDATING IT AS i here it can be dangerous. So I can just stick a new processor in then and expect it to work?. Sigh.

Thx anyway
Old Jun 02, 2003, 10:42 PM
Veteran

Well, that depends on your BIOS. hehe Sorry, sometimes there simply isn't a straightforward answer to give. If you follow the instructions for updating your BIOS to a tee amd make sure you're not due any thunderstorms, there's really nothing to worry about when updating m8.
Old Jun 03, 2003, 10:05 AM

Alright..

I've took a look in BIOS setup and the CPU speed will go up to 1600 mhz but I cant change from Duron to Athlon, so could it possibly go higher on a Athlon processor?.

I also read a bit about updating the BIOS it says you need the revision number at the system post but the problem is the system post is too fast for me to be able to catch it. Is it worth doing this or shall I just buy a new Motherboard and processor for the extra bit of cash?.

Cheers