CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 03, 2003, 11:47 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Hit the pause key when the screen comes up.

Yes flashing your bios does have the potential for disaster & I would not recomend it unless you were going to get some benefit from it (like a faster processor) but it's not that difficult to get right.
Old Jun 03, 2003, 12:12 PM

Ok so If I do follow it step by step exactly how it tells me and the Flash is sucsesfull what will I benefit from it? will the processor speed go up even faster?

I've seena Motherboard bundle down at Maplin Electronics for 150 has a 4X AGP slot and can take up to 2 Gig of pc266 DDR ram, includes a 2400 MHz AMD Athlon processor. Would buying this be the better option?. I bought a full ATX case with a 350 watt PSU so I just need a board and procesor for now then the rest I will add as I move along. But If I can get a higher processor in my current system I would rather take that option and take the risk of flashing my BIOS.

Thanks for the info
Old Jun 03, 2003, 04:24 PM
Veteran

If you think about it logically, why would manufacturers make any bios updates (and the programs used to update/flash a bios) available to the general public if there was more chance of messing up a system rather than upgrading it?

Heck, my motherboard manufacturer (msi) even has a program that will automatically search for, download and then install a bios update!

It really isn't difficult - all you have to do is go to the website of your motherboard manufacturer and then download the latest bios file and also the program they provide to perform the updating. Then, after unpacking, read the text file that is almost always provided and follow the instructions. If there is no text file then there will be a page on the manufacturers website detailing how to go about the flash.

These days, the only real thing you have to worry about is if your computer loses power while the flash is in progress but newer bios's even have a contingency plan for this! A copy of the bios is held in the bios chips non-volitile memory so if it ever encounters a problem like a failed flash, it just copies the good bios over to where the bad bios is and everything is fine again!

Just think of the money you could save! Maplin rarely have any good deals especially regarding computer equipment. You can buy an Athlon XP2400+ for about 70 (thats including VAT) and a 2200+ for about 60 so you'll have halved your outlay just by performing a bios update and gained some speed and power!
Old Jun 03, 2003, 05:02 PM
Veteran

If your thinking of buying a new mobo anyway, why not flash the bios anyway. If it screws up (not likely) you can still buy a new mobo, but if it doesn't you'll have saved the money....................just my 2 cents...........
Old Jun 03, 2003, 06:06 PM

So are you saying that if I upgrade my BIOS it will allow me to put a higher processor in? in the CPUPnP settings in the BIOS using the page up and opage down keys it will only go up to 1600 mhz, If I update BIOS will it go higher?.
Old Jun 03, 2003, 06:23 PM

Ok now I found the Mnufacture Website and the list of BIOS uupdates I know my MoBo is a M81010LR thats all I know, I am not sure where to find the revision number, I rwant to get this right, can anyone please help me?

I just found something reading the Manual, Read this

BIOS Update Utility

The BIOS Update utility allows you to update the BIOS file on the mainboaard to a newer version. You can download the latest version f the BIOS setup avalible for your mainboard from the website

-D:\UTILITY\AMINFxxx.EXE.

So under DOS prompt do I type that command in and it will connect to the site and download the new BIOS then update itself?, I would rather do this to be safe.

Last edited by Lee2003; Jun 03, 2003 at 06:29 PM.