CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 03, 2003, 08:31 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by andyr [/i]
[B]If you think about it logically, why would manufacturers make any bios updates (and the programs used to update/flash a bios) available to the general public if there was more chance of messing up a system rather than upgrading it?

These days, the only real thing you have to worry about is if your computer loses power while the flash is in progress [/B]
No one said there was a greater risk but there is [B]some[/B] risk. If the pc works & you won't get any benefits from flashing the bios then don't muck about with it. In this case though I would agree it [B]is[/B] worth while.

Think the main problem is people using the wrong bios file. If you are going to flash it be 110% sure you have the correct one.

As for finding the m/b revision your best bet is to take the side off the case & see if it's printed on the board.
Old Jun 04, 2003, 08:06 AM

I am going to update BIOS if I can find the number. Can someone help me identify the number? What should I be looking for? is it a long number and where abouts on the screen is it?. Anyway here is the list of Roms for the BIOS.

***********.pcchips.com.tw/bios/bios.asp?module_id=4
Old Jun 04, 2003, 11:04 AM

I got this info from sisoft Sandra about the Bios, but cant seem to find any bios update with that version number

SiSoftware Sandra

General Information
Manufacturer : American Megatrends Inc.
Version : 062710
Date : 07/15/97
Plug & Play Version : 1.00
SMBIOS/DMI Version : 2.30
(EE)PROM Size : 256kB (2Mbit)

General Capabilities
Can be Updated/Flashed : Yes
Can be Shadowed : Yes
Is Socketed : Yes
Supports Plug & Play : Yes
Supports ESCD : Yes
Supports Enhanced Disk Drive : Yes
NEC PC-98 Spec Compatible : No

Power Management Features
Supports APM : Yes
Supports ACPI : Yes
Supports Smart Battery : No

Boot Features
Supports Selective Booting : Yes
Supports CD/DVD Boot : Yes
Supports PCMCIA/CardBus Boot : No
Supports LS-120 Boot : Yes
Supports ZIP Boot : Yes
Supports i2o Boot : No
Supports FireWire/1394 Boot : No
Supports BIOS Boot Block : Yes
Supports Interactive Network Boot : No

Performance Tips
Tip 201 : System BIOS is old. Check for an update.
Notice 224 : SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.
Tip 212 : BIOS can be shadowed so check whether it is.
Tip 211 : BIOS is flash-able and socketed so it can be upgraded when needed.
Tip 2 : Double-click tip or press Enter while a tip is selected for more information about the tip.
Old Jun 04, 2003, 12:06 PM
Veteran

Well I've been trying to navigate arounf the PC-Chips site - half of it is down and the rest has little or no information!

I went to download the manual for your system but they aren't up!

The M810 range comes in various flavours. Are you sure yours has a CPU socket and not an onboard CPU?

The M810 v7.1a and M810 v9.0m have sockets for sure though. It's this version number we need to know because the v7.1a uses bios file 030103s.rom whereas the v9.0m uses bios file 030513s.exe.

The instructions on the site for flashing the bios are about as vague as vague can be. This site is absolutely useless! For people unsure of such things then this is enough to put anyone off updating their computers!

BTW, I hate to have to tell you this but PC-Chips are generally regarded as being one of the worst motherboard manufacturers out there (and that's been especially true in the past!) - I had experience of one for a short time with an AMD K6-2-500. That was without doubt, the worst motherboard I have ever used. It had problems with just about every aspect you can think of. I still have it (in a box somewhere) as a reminder to never buy PC-chips again.

Not much help I know but if you tell us the revision then we can get that board flashed in no time!
Old Jun 04, 2003, 01:27 PM

Thanks for your reply,

I am unsure as to where the revision number is? is it right at the bottom on the system post page? I am very dissapointed to here that about PCchips, I've had the system about 12 months now and figured it was time to upgrade. I have the money for the processor, Its just a mater of flashing the BIOS in order to accept it.

It is deffinitly not a onboard proCessor, as it shows me instructions on how to easily remove it and replace it another. It sounds like atoo much trouble updating this BIOS and to be onest iI would rather have a computer that works then dont work at all, so I think I will save a little bit more cash and just buy a totaly new motherboard and processor.
Old Jun 04, 2003, 02:28 PM
Veteran

It's not that much trouble to perform the bios update but as mentioned by someone in a post above, you do need to make sure you are 110% certain you have the correct bios for the motherboard.

To be honest though, if you don't feel confident about it then perhaps you would be more comfortable waiting until you can afford a motherboard then, before you make your purchase, attempt to flash the bios. If for some reason it all goes belly up (which it shouldn't) then you know you have the money to buy a replacement. If it flashes OK then with the money you [i]were[/i] going to spend on a new motherboard, you can now use to take everyone from this board out for a drink!