CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 06, 2003, 10:32 AM

sponsored links

Ok I did it and something really strange just happened.

I booted to DOS and typed this line

c:\>aminf336.exe 030103s.rom

It said the ROM file is correct proceed with flash?

I chose yes, so it started flashing, then the pc rebooted and said error checksum or something, press f1 to continue or f2 to load defaults.
I pressed f2 and windows loaded, the clock was reset and when I go to BIOS settings and try change the CPU clock speed it is still the same it only goes to 1600 MHz, every other option is grayed out so I cant change if it is a DURON OR aTHLON. Will these options become available when i insert a newer processor or was the FLASH unsuccessful and shall I try the flash again?.
Old Jun 06, 2003, 11:35 AM
Veteran

That checksum error is quite normal when booting after flashing a BIOS. Really you should reset the BIOS before booting to force it to load the defaults. As long as it did load the defaults.
When it boots one of the screens should tell you the BIOS version. Check that it matches the one you used, though it sounds like the flash worked.
Old Jun 06, 2003, 11:44 AM

The post goes too fast but it says on the date 2003 used to be 1998, so maybee it did work but what I dont understand is why I cant change CPU speed. I am not going to waste 60 quid n a 2.6 Gig CPU to find out it wont work.
Old Jun 06, 2003, 05:06 PM

when you put in the new chip the board will recognise it.
Go ahead buy it.
Remember to get a heatsink aswell cause the old one won't cool your faster chip enough and AMD's run pretty hot.,
Get the retail box + heatsink so your using the correct heatsink for the chip.
Old Jun 06, 2003, 05:29 PM

First of all I'd like to thank all of you who helped me out with this, I owe you

Secondly, before I go and buy this chip I want to clear some stuff up.

The chip I want to buy is a AMD AthlonXP PR2600+ (OEM) Thoroughbred Ref: CPUAMDTHB26
333FSB - 2083 MHz - OEM - Requires Cooler

from this website here www.cclcomputers.co.uk (bought a few products from em in the past including this PC)

Now the thing that catches my eye is the part where it says 333FSB. In the Motherboards manual it says it can support 200/266 Mhz would this CPU that I want to buy not work in my board?.

If my BIOS flash did not work and I do go ahead and put this processor in and something goes wrong will it damage the CPU because I would like to buy a new MoBo without buying another CPU. If the MoBo can take it then what kind of cooling would I need and does the heatsink/fan come with the thermal compound or do I have to buy that extra?

I am sorry for sounding such a dumbass , I have never done this before and I would rather be safe then sorry, I appreciate all of you that are helping me and would like some further advice before I make the purchase.

Thanks again