CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 15, 2003, 12:49 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Could be a bad chip.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:15 PM
Veteran

i used some RJ45 wire. i think thats what its called. the wire you run through the walls for networking and connect an ethernet cable to. anyways. i used this for my power and ground. made the wires 3" each. the wire is thick. still didn't do it. i'm leaning towards the idea above that it may be a bad chip. i checked the entire board for solder splashes. i found none. checked everything pin on all the chips even if i didn't solder to it and nothing is bridged. the W, A, and S, wire were the toughest for me, but they all or connected good and not bridged anywhere either. i may just send this thing out and see what a pro says.

thanks for trying to help. it is much appreciated.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:12 PM

did you try the alternate "w" point?.. i had to use the "W1" point instead of the "W" on mine
Old Jun 16, 2003, 09:58 PM
Veteran

buster. i just saw that on the site linked above. so i tried it. no go. that didn't help either. i don't know what to do. i think this ps2 is the devil. i feel like taking a hammer to it.
Old Jun 17, 2003, 01:38 AM

i know how you feel.. i have a v7 that doesn't read any dvd media at all, original or backup, so you're better off than i am. I belive i read somewhere that you can dissconnect wire "Z' if you don't want game shark code compatibility, in some cases it has been known to solve problems with the chip. Also, since original dvd media works test your laser with a scope and see if the signal is strong enough for backups. It may just need a simple tweak. Search on yahoo for a laser adjustment tutorial for a print out of the correct laser signal. Be extra careful if you do attempt to adjust the dvd pot
Old Jun 21, 2003, 09:59 PM

just a thought
have u checked all wires to make sure none are shorting out to other wires
i had a similar problem with a version 7 and everything was connected fine but after having it apart a few times i noticed a couple of wires were stuck together, the insulation on the wires was stuck together and the two wires were shorting on one another i was also using 30 gauge kynar

also make sure no wires are near the small screw holes on top and bottom of the motherboard
its pretty easy to see if there are any flat spots on the wire indicating it has been squeezed when the machine was put back together