CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 13, 2003, 04:27 AM
Veteran

Default What do I need to set up a wireless network?

sponsored links

As the topic states really, I want to set up a wireless network for 3 computers, one with win 98 and the other 2 running XP. I currently have the two XP machines networked using an adsl router with a built in modem, so what exactly do I need to buy so I can add the 98 machine to the network?

Thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 07:46 PM

go 2 the post that says setting up a wireless network... i just posted in there and theres some really good info u might wanna take a look at...
Old Jun 27, 2003, 04:36 PM
Veteran

Nightheart, do you mean I'll need 3 cards, or just 2 cards for the computers that don't have the direct internet connection?
Old Jun 27, 2003, 06:29 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I think so. I have bought a w.a.p. and 2 wireless cards, so just let me check I've got this right:-

[B][U]Computer downstairs [/U][/B]

1. ADSL line plugs in to my router/modem.

2. Router/modem connects by RJ45 cable into my wireless access point.

No wireless card needed for the downstairs computer.

[B][U]2 computers upstairs [/U][/B]

1. Connect a wireless card to each computer.

Hopefully that should be right?

Three more questions -

1. At the moment, I connect via my router/modem by entering the gateway address, subnet mask etc of my router into the tcp/ip properties. Will I have to change all this to the properties of my WAP, or will it stay the same? If so, I assume I only have to enter all the settings of the router into the TCP/IP properties on the third computer I am adding?

2. I don't have any drivers, will I need separate drivers for the WAP and the wireless cards, or will it just be one driver package? I have a Lynksys etherfast befw1154 WAP and 2 802.11b wireless cards. I believe these are quite popular, maybe someone has it and knows what drivers I need.

3. Like I said in the original post, two of the computers will be running Windows XP pro, one will have Windows 98 se. Is this likely to cause any issues with installation do you think?

Sorry for asking for such a lengthy "idiots guide", but I had a LOT of trouble just sharing a connection between two computers, so I just want to make sure I have it right!

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by philmeehan; Jun 27, 2003 at 06:31 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 11:35 AM
Veteran

I forgot to mention that my modem/router connects to my pc by usb, will I need to connect the wireless access point to a network card in my pc via crossover cable or wireless card? And still have the usb modem/router plugged in?

Last edited by philmeehan; Jul 13, 2003 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2003, 09:50 AM
Veteran

My router/modem has just one ethernet connection, which I thought would be for the router/modem to connect to the the wap's wan port? If I understand what you are telling me, I have to either

a) Have the router/modem connected by ethernet to one of the wap's lan ports, as well as to the wap's wan port, which isn't an option anyway, because my router/modem only has one ethernet port.

Or

b) Have the router/modem connected by ethernet to the wap's wan port and the wap connected to the PC via USB.

Is that correct?

My wap has 1 wan port, 4 lan ports and an uplink port, all of these ports have RJ45 sockets, how would I connect it to my PC via a USB cable?