CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 14, 2003, 08:06 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

According to my access point's user guide, I need to connect an ethernet cable from my pc ethernet port (Realtek network card) to a lan port on the router. I also need a network cable from my USB dsl modem (which is also my router) to the wan port on the access point.

Now, I have done all of this, and all the lights on the access point are lit up as they should be. But I can't connect to the access point's configuration page. Here are my tcp/ip settings, do they look right for what I am trying to do?

[b][u]Router/modem TCP/IP settings:-[/b][/u]

This is connected by USB to my PC, and it works fine, I can connect to the web on this ok.

IP Address: 192.***.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.***.1.99 (My router / modem address)

DNS Server Address: 192.***.1.99
Alternate DNS: blank

[b][u]Wireless Access Point TCP/IP settings:-[/b][/u]

This has 2 connections:-

1) LAN port to PCI network card by ethernet cable
2) Wan port to PCI router/modem by ethernet cable.

The problem is, it tells me that a network cable is unplugged. I would guess that I need to get this connection connected before I can make any progress. Here are the settings for that:-

IP Address: 192.***.1.3
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.***.1.1 (My wireless access point address)

DNS Server Address: 192.***.1.1
Alternate DNS: blank.

All the numbers that I have censored, are the same, so I think everything is in the correct range, I just wasn't sure if it was wise to post my IP details on the web.

If I can just get to my Access Point's configuration page, I think I should be ok from there. Sorry for the long post, but I want to get this right, so gave as much info as possible, and if somebody can see where I am going wrong, I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to correct it.

Many thanks for the help.

Last edited by philmeehan; Jul 15, 2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:46 AM
Veteran

The WAP is connected to the PC by crossover cable, to a PCI network card. I have a crossover cable going from the WAN port to the modem/router, and a crossover cable going from the network card to a LAN port on the WAP. This is why I don't understand why it is coming up as a network cable is unplugged, because it isn't unplugged. I know the cables and the network card are working, because they are what I was running my exisiting wired network on. I have followed the WAP's user guide to the letter, and it still doesn't work.

My router/modem is an eTEC PT-3808, with one ethernet port. My WAP is a "Linksys BEFW11S4 etherfast wireless access point + cable/dsl router with 4-port switch" to give it it's full title.

I have thought of maybe doing away with my router/modem, and just buying a PCI ADSL modem, but I don't know if it would solve anything, or just make matters worse.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 04:38 PM
Veteran

After many problems, I finally managed to get to my WAP's config page. I
did it by connecting the modem/router to my WAP's uplink port, and the PC
network card into the Wap's WAN port. This way I can get to the config page etc, ping the modem/router, WAP etc, and connect to the web on my main PC.

Now, when I have installed the wireless adapters on the other 2 computers,
the properties don't recognise any available networks. What properties do I have to change for this?

Thanks for any help.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:25 PM

Default Wireless "G" vs. Wired Router

What does the new G rated device do that old a & b device don't?
Will a non wireless router perform as well as a wireless G router?
Is there such thing as a regular G router?

Thanks
Old Oct 06, 2003, 11:49 AM

how am i supposed to set up a wireless network with sharing the internet if i dont have a router??

ive got a DSL internal modem only...

Thanks
Kev