CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:28 PM

Cool Setting up a Wireless Network -- Need Recommendations [Dell; 4550; winXP]

sponsored links

I'm having Cable Internet Access installed within the next week and have been thinking of installing a wireless network. I'm seeking recommendations from anyone out there with a network already installed, and may be able to give me some pointers on which brand to pick. Lately I've considered Linksys and Microsoft devices, but also looking at just about every other company out there.

My cable Internet would be installed directly to the machine I'm using now, until I pickup a Wireless Router/Switch at a later time. I have 2(maybe 3) other machines that will be on my network:

For Reference the PC im on now uses Windows XP as well.

-- A Windows XP Based PC which is downstairs directly below where I am now in a recroom (just behind me is the doorway to the basement so distance on this one is not too far).

-- A Apple iMac which is being moved to the room next to me. I don't have an airport device installed on this model yet, but my plans are to run a ethernet cable thru the wall just to the right of me to the next room for that machine. The iMac will probably be sold and replaced with a new PC/Laptop within 6 months or less.

-- I have a Playstation 2 currently in my bedroom with the possability of adding an XBOX within 1 year. It would be nice to have cable access in here for these two systems, but not a necessity. I figure I can install a wireless ethernet bridge for these two devices.

I've read a few sites and various articles on 802.11 a,b, and g. From what i've seen:

-- 802.11b seems to be the current standard for most people
-- 802.11g seems to be the rising standard since its compatible with both g and b networks, but many of its devices, still relatively new, have quite a few bugs that need work
-- 802.11a I haven't read or heard much about, except being told by a few people that their cost is quite a bit higher than the other two, plus its incompatible with c & g networks.

Since Cable Internet around this area doesnt seem to exceed 5mbps, I'm not seeing the benefit of upgrading right away to 802.11g (being 54mbps as advertised) besides of course multiplayer gaming, which I'll be conducting over the Internet, not between the machines I own.

My biggest fear about installing a wireless network is interference and signal strength since I have no way of testing signal strength (that i'm aware of) without owning and trying the actual products. These machines are all installed relativley close to each other, well within the recommendations on each of the majoy companes that make wireless products. I've heard all the tales about signal strength dwindling due to various abnormalities. I own 3 900mhz cordless phones, and a 3 year old wireless cellphone but no 2.4ghz phones.

Any recommendations here?

Thanks,
~Ryan~
Old Jun 16, 2003, 12:23 AM
suspended

I'm going to move this to the Networking and Security forum for you.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 04:36 AM
Veteran

802.11b should be fine for home use, sharing internet connection, playing games etc. If you want to move lots of files around between the PC's then I'd suggest getting 802.11g or a wired link (@ 100Mbps) as you'll start to get frustrated when it takes an hour to move a few movies around etc.

If you're PC's are close together then signal strength shouldn't be a problem but interference still could be. Your neighbour may have something which uses the 2.4ghz band. Best bet is to try and get the wireless equipment from somewhere which will let you return them if you have problems.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 06:37 AM
Veteran

you also might want to give a serious look at netgears stuff, I've been using their stuff for awhile with no problems I also use a 2.4 ghz landline phone and cell phones with no interference. I also live in an apartment complex, and have no interference from neighbours stuff. I'd say go for it, and as long as you buy the stuff new, you shouldn't have a problem returning it most places............just my 2 cents...........

I've had some issue with linksys ethernet cards, and I avoid their products for that reason. I have never tried any wireless products from them, though.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 07:44 PM

yah linksys aint that good 4 wired... but i have used some of their wireless and it worked decent... but i would suggest goin w/D-Link... probably the 614+ thats a really good wireless router/4port wired switch... i have it so i know its good... it also has a max download speed of about 22Mbs... and it uses the standard 802.11b technology... so its compatable w/bout nethin...
Old Jun 17, 2003, 01:42 PM

Default Network

I set up a friends 2 PC's + laptop (running Win 2000 Pro on 1 PC and Win Xp Home on remaining PC and laptop) using Belkins Wireless Lan.

Not a problem, and Win Xp finds it without a problem. The only problem I had was that the drivers supplied were the wrong ones but after downloading the updated drivers from their site, it was easy.

No problems at all.

Scott