CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 10, 2003, 07:25 AM

sponsored links

You all may agree that it doe's matter in which type of cd you wish to burn or what material you would like to burn.

The speed of a writer will vary depending on what you wish to copy, music files would be usually set at 8X or 16X if you try higher you may end up with a coaster.

If you want to make a backup copy of data you then can use any setting 32X 48X providing that the blank Cd can handle that speed.

I do note that the Blank cd's made today or even before will not garrantee that you can burn at the listed rate of speed on the CDR/CDRW.

Always use a lower rated speed that what is on the CDR/CDRW for Example: a 32X CDR the max speed on DATA should be 24X.

The program that you use to copy your backup's will also determine the actual speed your writer is going to suceed at.

I use a LG 52X, 24X, 52X and it is a fast writer but going from a 40X to 52X is not that much differnce unless the writer you are using is not up to snuff anymore than yes get a 52X writer perferably LG or Lite-On or if you have the money a Plexter.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 06:22 PM

I'm with nuttyprofessor the slower the better (or at less most people will have no problems playing them)
Old Oct 21, 2003, 09:24 AM
Veteran

Digicube, trust me.... 40x speed to 52x speed is really not worth the money as it will only save you a few seconds. If you are not paying attention to you pc as it burns, the burn probably will be long done before you know it and you already spilled the time you gained burning anyway.

If you are really burning MANY cd's (that is over somewhat 40 a week), ask yourself this question first:

Am i burning all unique cd's, or am i mostly duplicating ?

Why?

If your cd's are unique, it might be worth getting 52x. However if you are making many duplicates as well, you might want to consider purchuasing a special copy tower. These machines contain one cd-rom and several cdrw devices. They are burning synchonally, which means you are duplicating several cd's at the same time. Depending on the make and model, copy towers are sold with up to 12 cdrw drives. If you are duplicating a lot, it's really worth considering....

[img]***********.danielklann.com/signatures/merlin.gif[/img]

Last edited by merlin_the_magician; Oct 21, 2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:56 PM

Currently got a 16x LG

however i've got a Pioneer 106 coming, and thought I might as well get the same CDRW my dad's machine has , so i don't knacker out the DVD burning CDs.

There is a huge difference between my 16x LG, and my dads 52x liteon.

Thing is though, you'r eunlikely to see constant speed above 40x.
Old Nov 01, 2003, 05:28 PM

40x - 52x isn't worth it unless you burn heaps of discs. You just have to figure out if the money is worth the time you would save burning discs.
Old Nov 02, 2003, 05:33 AM
Veteran

This post is almost 5months old now. I would think that digicube would have made a descision by now.