CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:05 PM

Default hard drive clicking noise????

sponsored links

i bought a 80 gig wesrern digital h-drive about 3 months ago and it worked fine untill the other week i moved my base unit and now it makes a stange clicking noise like its powering up every 10 seconds then stops????
i got it from e-buyer does anyone know what this is or how to stop this??
what are e-buyer like for returns does anyone have any expirience in returning to them ???????
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:15 PM
Veteran

If you are sure its the drive thats making the clicking sound, then its time to backup all your important data and to create an RMA and sent it back to eBuyer.

But before you do that, you can download a test utility from WD and test the drive to confirm that it is faulty first.

Personally, if the test result comes back negative, ie. drive has bad sectors or hardware failure, it may be easier to create an RMA with WD and sent the drive back to them directly instead of using eBuyer, you should find their return time to be a lot faster and efficient than eBuyer.

HTH
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:51 PM
Veteran

Sounds like the click of death. As duffy said.........back up and RMA.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:29 PM
Veteran

I've a sneaking suspicion that ebuyer don't take returns more than 30 days after your order was shipped, you'll need to check the site but i think you are going to have to send it back to WD.

Are you sure its the hdd? You said you moved the case, maybe you've dislodged some wires and have something bouncing on your fan or similar (stranger things have happened ...)

EDIT: Checked ebuyer site, 30 days it is - back to WD if it is the hdd
Old Jun 23, 2003, 06:03 PM

i had a drive that was clicking upa storm as well, tried formatting and everything with no luck. evebtually found a program called HDD Regenerator that did the trick very nicel. it fixes errors on the drive. sadly the shareware version will only do one error at a time, but if you have the time to restart it as many times as needed it will do the job.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 07:30 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Shadowman [/i]
[B]i had a drive that was clicking upa storm as well, tried formatting and everything with no luck. evebtually found a program called HDD Regenerator that did the trick very nicel. it fixes errors on the drive. sadly the shareware version will only do one error at a time, but if you have the time to restart it as many times as needed it will do the job. [/B]
Did it repair your drive? I have that program!! I picked it up from a neighbor.

HDD Regenerator v1.31