CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 02, 2003, 04:44 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

i think "the disks" that Memphis was talking about is the protection on a PC game such as SD2, and securom, not PSX games.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 09:22 AM

Quote "i think "the disks" that Memphis was talking about is the protection on a PC game such as SD2, and securom, not PSX games"

If that is the case then what the hell is he posting that in this thread for?

However I do believe he meant what he said, there are a lot of people who labour under the false idea that that is true, IT ISN'T!
Old Jul 02, 2003, 11:42 AM
Veteran

Whoa calm down zedy! No need to get up on your high-horse!

So I may be wrong, I didn't exclaim the point I just posted what I thought I knew. You could have just posted saying 'well actually that's not true, despite what people think', instead you chose to post 'Absolute RUBBISH!!! There are NO errors on PSX cds.'. SO SUE ME! If I am wrong I will admit that, I don't need to be shouted down.

To explain what I thought was the situation, I always believed that the PSX used errors in the boot sector of the disk to authenticate the disk. Obviously a burner wouldn't re-create errors on purpose and thusly a 1-1 copy wasn't possible. I also thought that the errors were pressed onto the disk, hence only the pressed PS-X-Change is bootable.

So I am sorry if I was misinformed and will bear that in mind for future reference. And for my information, would you care to explain the EXACT method the PSX uses to authenticate the disk?
Old Jul 02, 2003, 07:29 PM

Memphis, Maybe if you actually spent some time reading the posts in this thread, especially the one from celtic_druid you wouldn't have bothered replying in the first place.
Old Jul 02, 2003, 08:41 PM
Veteran

Yes boss.
Old Jul 03, 2003, 05:34 PM

lol, actually, zedy is right. If you followed that link that celtic_druid posted, and read through all 26 pages of it, you would too come to realize how the copy protection cheme on the psx works, and how far they have come to try to crack it. The only read errors that their are on the PSX disk are those from scratches or other physical damages on the CD. those poor folks have come so far to try to understand it, but once they get past one part, they hit a different wall.

If anybody has ANY ability with this sort, should try to help them, because they are actually close to figuring it out, but are all out of fresh ideas.