CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 08, 2003, 01:23 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

i have bought a hard dirve and am a little stuck now of how to install etc, i have put in and when i start up pc it says no operating system, now what do i do? i was wanting tgis new hard drive as the second so why doesn't pc starup normally, i have taken oput for now and pc loads up, what do i need to do

thanx for your help btw

the new one is on teh same lead as the original ahrd drive and the connector says slave on teh one i am attaching to the new hard drive, where do i put jumpers aswell?
Old Jul 08, 2003, 02:01 PM
Veteran

Have a lok on the metal casing on the hard drive, near where the cIDE cable goes in you will see the jumpers and on the metal bit beside it you will see it have an etching on where to put the jumpers fro Primary, Slave, cable select etc
Old Jul 08, 2003, 02:35 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Lee2003 [/i]
[B]it is not a good idea to put the HDD on the same channel as the CDROM especialy if you burn cd's. [/B]
Actually, programs like Nero recommend installing HD drives with CDRoms, so that is a bit misleading. If you do disc to disc copies, then that is the best way. However, this can can slow the performance of the HD as optical devices are slower. It would be better having them on seperate controllers and burning from disc.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 01:01 PM
Veteran

i am having lots of probs with this, i have added and as said above it says operating system not found, it has now loaded up for some reason when i have played around with the jumpers, but now in my computer the drive isn't being shown, why is this?
Old Jul 09, 2003, 01:07 PM
Veteran

Its soulnds like you haven't got the jumpers right. It also sounds like your IDE cable has "Master" and "slave" labels on it which should make things a little easier ...

Your original hard drive with the OS on it should be the "Master" drive. You will need to CHECK that the jumpers on the original drive are set to "Master". It may be that as this was previously the only drive on the cable that they werent set correctly. This done, you must set the jumper on the new drive to "Slave". Your PC will then boot as normal from the old hard drive.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 01:25 PM
Veteran

hi san, i have put the original drive on master as said, but on teh new drive there are loads of different options for slave and i haven't got a clue which one to use, as it says
16 head
15 heads
32gb clip and auto spin or something, so i don't know which one to use?