CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 08, 2003, 05:21 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

if you don't know the fan thats on it, it's probably the one that comes with amd cpu's and they do kinda suck. Go down to your local pc shop and pick up a good aftermarket heatsink/fan. AMD says that their cpu's can handle heat upto 95 degrees C or close to 200 degrees F, so you might be disappointed, but a better heatsink/fan can never hurt

As for case fans, buy one for every fan slot you have. If it's a dell/gateway type pc you might be limited on the number of slots you have. If your not sure, take the whole thing down and have the shop fit the fans for you.

Personally my MP's are running at 50 and 52 degrees right now, using the stock heatsinks from amd, with no problems.

What kind of PSU was put in it? I've seen crap PSU's do that exact same thing, and I'd definately be checking that out ..........just my 2 cents............

Last edited by nightheart; Jul 08, 2003 at 05:27 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2003, 05:27 AM
Veteran

i had a similar problem with a xp 2100+, if i ran it at it's full speed (around 1700mhz) the temp was around 65 c all the time and the pc would turn itself off whenever i did something that used alot of processing power or burnt a cd/dvd
i've replaced the chip with a xp 2200+ and it runs at around 40 c at 1800 mhz, the max temperature i've seen is 46 c when i've been playing games for long periods

when i was having problems with the xp 2100+ i had it tested and was told that it was damaged, i bought the chip last november and haven't overclocked it and it's always run at that temperature
Old Jul 08, 2003, 05:35 AM

My chip aint that old. It was bought from ebuyer a few months back but never had any problems with it before i replaced my PSU. I replaced the PSU as the other one blew but that was from the original p3 550 and i hadnt changed it since upgrading. I was thinking on getting a new case also as it looks minging and rank.

If i buy this------ ***********.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-CFBCNL#lblS
what else will i need to get?

thanks again for helping
Old Jul 08, 2003, 08:06 PM
Veteran

The case is fine, but I have doubts about the PSU. ALWAYS buy a name brand PSU (I prefer antec or enermax, myself). A good psu (I'm in the US, so bear with on the prices, you'll get the idea) is normally at least 50-75 dollars, while a cheap one is around 5-15, a lot of times............and believe me its worth the xtra money. PSU and memory are the 2 most likely things to die in a pc, so thats my 2 cents. See what psu is in the pc now, find out from whoever installed it. If you never heard of it, its most likely a knock-off.............
Old Jul 08, 2003, 11:35 PM
Veteran

I agree with nightheart, the PSU in that case will probably be no better than the one you have now, Buy an Enermax PSU, a 350W is around 50 but for extra 15 you can get a 460W which will serve you well into the future, all cases I buy I throw the PSU out and fit an Enermax. When I bought a Chieftech Scorpio case I fitted an Enermax 550W without even trying to boot it with the fitted PSU
Old Jul 09, 2003, 01:38 AM

3 PCs i have made, the owners called me approx 10-12 months later and all 3 needed replacement PSUs. So as Cougar UK said, don't trust the ones you get free with the cases. I keep a few PSUs round as emergency replacements but thats all they are useful for