CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 11, 2003, 07:37 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Anyone happen to know of any good software utility to monitoring your case and cpu temp within windows instead of having to go into your bios?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 07:43 PM
suspended

[url=********mbm.livewiredev.com/]MBM is what I'm using. With MBM, you can even shut the system down (with Windows shutdown.exe) when the temp's or fan RPM's go out of the settings that you've set.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 03:45 AM
Veteran

Azn Spikes
If you have room a digital doc is what I use, it has 6 sensors you can place anywhere which are constantly monitored and displayed on a backlit liquid crystal display on the front of the Doc. One of the sensors I managed to shove under the heatsink so it touches the edge of the CPU, its not perfect but it is pretty close and if the alarm goes off i can see immediately which sensor it is before I switch off and know what has overheated.

Lee2003 (and anyone interested in case cooling techniques)
My Scorpio full tower is black, I had a signwriter print me some designs made to cover the side case panels they cost me 25 to be printed for each panel, these designs cover the whole of each side panel covering up the hundreds of ventilation holes in each, to cool the case there the 8&9cm fans in the PSU, three YS-Tech FD8125 silent 8cm fans, one Delta 9cm fan, and I have just fitted a ,YS-Tech FD1238 12cm blowhole, all the case fans are YS-Tech because they are a good fan and I knew they will operate at 12V & 5V so I could switch the voltage using the baybus, the 9CM is a delta because YS-Tech only did a 3 pin 9CM at the time, along the edge of each side case panel I cut a 1cm slot to allow air to be drawn in as the vent holes were covered and covered them from the inside with speaker grille cloth, my system specs are as follows at present.

Athlon 2700+
Asus A7V8X nforce2
Crucial 512MB DDR PC2700 CAS2.5
2X 80GB WD SE HDD
GF4ti4200
Audigy 2
2X Lite-On 40X cdrw & 16X dvd
USB 31/2 bay internal card reader
US Robotics 56K
4 gang Baybus
Lazerbay
Digital Doc5

The nice thing is, (which is helped by the fact that all the little vent holes in the side panels are covered) when I turn ALL the case fans on/off at 5V with the baybus I cannot hear them come on. They are constantly on at 5V and the case temp at present is 25.9 degrees.

A simple but effective cooling solution I would recommend for a midi tower is fit a good quality 12cm blowhole, cover the useless holes in the case panels from the inside and cut slots in bottom of the case panel sides as I have then the blowhole will draw the coolest air from the floor and push it out the top, you could even fit 2 blowholes as two working at half speed are as effective as one at full speed only with half the noise, you will find that 2 or three of these with the speed turned down would be practically silent above the CPU & PSU fans and the case temp would rarely go above room temperature, Enermax do good ones with gold grilles and ****ogue fan control via a small knob for which you could simply extend the wires, drill holes in a suitable part of the case or drivebay cover and fix the knobs, you have to glue them but dont get glue on the knob:-) this would put the performance of all other in/out fans you could fit to shame
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:02 AM

I've been taking a look at these Aluminum case with fited blowhooles, and they are supposed to provide good ventalation. They come with Side panel Fans and a fan mounted on top blowing down, Is it worth buying one of these cases or shall I just buy additional cooling and fit the blowholes myself? I have the tools to do it.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 01:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Lee2003 [/i]
[B]I've been taking a look at these Aluminum case with fited blowhooles, and they are supposed to provide good ventalation. They come with Side panel Fans and a fan mounted on top blowing down, Is it worth buying one of these cases or shall I just buy additional cooling and fit the blowholes myself? I have the tools to do it. [/B]
In my opinion, I'd recommend you do your own cooling and blowholes and then see how effective that turns out. If you're getting the same results as before, then you can start to look for a new case.

In my situation, I want to make two blowholes on the side case panel and one hole on the front panel near the bottom but I don't have the tools to do it I just need to get a hold of a hole saw the size of a case fan
Old Jul 12, 2003, 04:55 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by C0UGAR UK [/i]
[B]I agree with nightheart, the PSU in that case will probably be no better than the one you have now, Buy an Enermax PSU, a 350W is around 50 but for extra 15 you can get a 460W which will serve you well into the future, all cases I buy I throw the PSU out and fit an Enermax. When I bought a Chieftech Scorpio case I fitted an Enermax 550W without even trying to boot it with the fitted PSU [/B]
I definitly agree, get an enermax, i use to have that prob with my cousin's comp and after we changed his cheapo PSU and fitted it with the 350w enermax, he was fine thenafter.