CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 05, 2003, 11:02 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

I did not rename anything. I created an ISO directly from a CD. The only thing that I changed was to remove the path to the ISO from the CUE file.

As to why I got involved... You said that an ISO is not a CD image, which is totally incorrect.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 08:19 AM

Rather than have this conversation go to its natural conclusion I suggest, for the last time, that you obtain a copy of CDRWin or DroptoCD and familiarise yourself with these products.
An .iso is NOT a cd image!
If you bothered to familiarise yourself with above named products you will discover that it is possible to create an .iso from ANY directory on ANY drive, you can even create an .iso from a cd, but this is NOT an image file.
As a very good test, so that you can increase your knowledge, I suggest you create both a .bin/.cue and an .iso, using CDRWin, of ANY game that also contains audio tracks on the cd.
A good example is Soldier Of Fortune, either 1 or 2, it has a simple dummy audio track without which the game will not work.
You will, no doubt, be extremely amazed of the simple fact that that audio track does NOT exist in the .iso file.
Hopefully, as a long standing moderator, you will have enough savvy to figure out how to use CDRWin to achieve this simple test.
However, as I am not so sure of this, I will give you some simple hints.
To create an .iso file select - File Backup and Tools (notice the reference to FILES?)
To create a .bin/.cue combination, or for the unenlightened - a true cd image select - Backup Disc or Extract Disc/Tracks/Sectors.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 12:22 PM
Veteran

For the last time, I don't care about CDRWin and its inadequacies. It is not the only program out there that can create ISO's and you argument was than an ISO is not a CD image not that CDRWin can not create ISO images of CD's.

I could create ISO images of both SOF1 and 2 if I wanted, complete with audio tracks. In a previous post I already created one of a CD containing 2 audio tracks so I can't see any problems doing it again.

The natural conclusion here would be you admitting that you are wrong, although somehow I don't see that happening.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 05:05 PM

Like so many newbies it appears you have fallen for the trap of referring to ANY cd image as an .iso, regardless of what its true extension is.
You did NOT create an .iso, you created a .bin/.cue.
One trap that a lot of newbie PSX burners fall into is to convert their .bin/.cue file into an .iso using the likes of isobuster.
This ensures their copy will not work, burn the .bin/.cue, do NOT convert.
On most boards moderators should be aware of these things, especially if they are going to dive head first into a thread.
If they are unaware of the true facts then they should learn first.
It seems you are unable to research these simple things.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 09:20 PM
Veteran

Newbie?? What a joke.

For the last time, I created an ISO and CUE not a BIN/CUE. As I said I did not rename or convert anything, what I created was and is an ISO.

Ok, here is an ISO of a CD with a small data and a 1min audio track, also included is a BIN of the same CD to prove that the ISO is not just a BIN renamed as you suggested. ********members.optushome.com.au/spamcatcher/test.rar

Both images were created from a mounted Nero image containing XviD CVS source code and a 1min silent audio track.
Old Aug 06, 2003, 10:01 PM

Yes, an obvious newbie when it comes to PSX.
For your information CDRWin was the original and only product designed to create backups of PSX game cds.
When referring to .iso images, an extension pioneered by Goldenhawk, you should make yourself familiar with the concept behind an .iso file and hopefully you will then understand.
As I have said numerous times, obtain a copy of CDRWin and find out for yourself.
It is the usual case where a newbie jumps in without any idea of what he is discussing.
Incidently, I co-moderated a particular well known gamecopy forum with the venerable Swenske for some considerable time, I do suppose you know of him?