CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 06, 2003, 11:53 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

How many times do I need to say that I don't care about CDRWin. The simple fact is that you are wrong. It is possible to create an ISO of a CD.
Old Aug 07, 2003, 06:51 AM

I am still at a loss why you should have bothered posting replies in a topic you obviously know nothing about.
Old Aug 07, 2003, 07:41 AM
Veteran

I think it is pretty obvious that I know more than you.

You stated that "an .iso file is a file that is created from straight DATA only" which I think I have pretty convincingly proved is simply not true, which you have not responded to, other than saying try CDRWin.

ISO's use a CD file system and can contain both data and audio tracks.
Old Aug 07, 2003, 05:59 PM

You keep replying and everytime you demonstrate more and more your ignorance of this.
You flatly refuse to try any of the software that I suggested you try before opening your big mouth to change feet.
Both programs, previously mentioned, will demonstrate to you that they create .iso files from DATA, ie, you can create them from directories on your hard drive.
Even an idiot can tell the difference between a hard drive and a cd rom!
Even to an idiot it must be obvious that an .iso created from DATA on a hard drive is NOT a cd image.

How to backup files from your harddrive
(how to create an ISO9660 disc)

The following procedure will allow you to backup files from your harddrive onto an ISO9660 compatible disc.

ISO9660 is the international file system standard for CDROMs. Any disc created in this format will be readable by any operating system that supports this standard.

Step #1

Select the File Backup and Tools icon from the main toolbar.

Step #2

Select the "Build and Record and ISO9660 Image File" from the "Operation" list.

Step #3

Build the "Directories to Backup" list. Directories can be added to the list by either clicking the "Add…" button or by using "drag and drop" to load directory names from the Windows Explorer. Note: The maximum number of separate directory names that can be added to the list is 100.

Step #4

Select a temporary ISO9660 image filename. This file can be placed in any directory (preferably not in one of the directories that you are backing up) and its name is not important. As soon as the recording has been completed, you can either delete this file from your harddrive or use it in the future to record another disc (with the "Record ISO9660 Image File" operation).

Step #5

Select the required "Directory Options" (the software is shipped with the most common options already selected)…

Preserve Full Pathnames - Select this option to preserve the full pathname of every directory specified in the "Directories to Backup" list. If this option is not selected, then the pathnames will be truncated to the root directory of each entry. Note: If more than one directory has been specified in the list, then you will probably want to have this option selected.

Recurse Subdirectories - Select this option to recursively process all directories and files below the specified directories in the list.

Check Directory Depth - Select this option to make sure that the number of directory levels does not exceed eight, which is the maximum allowed by the ISO9660 specification. If you choose to ignore this limit, then the disc may not be readable under some operating systems.

Include Hidden Files - Include all files with the "hidden" attribute.

Include System Files - Include all files with the "system" attribute.

Include Archive Files Only - Only include files with the "archive" attribute.

Step #6

Select the required "ISO9660 Options" (the software is shipped with the most common options already selected)…

Long Filenames (Joliet) - Select this option to create a long filename (Joliet) compatible disc for Windows 95/98/NT. Note: A Joliet disc contains both the short and long versions of all filenames, so that the disc will be compatible with older DOS and Windows 3.1 based systems.

Disable Version Numbers - The ISO9660 specification requires that a version number string be appended to all filenames. This requirement can cause incompatibilities with certain operating systems, so this option will disable the use of version numbers.

Disable DOS Compatibility - Select this option to allow the use of non-DOS compatible filenames. The software currently converts all DOS filenames (8.3 format) to uppercase. This option will disable this conversion and allow filenames with lowercase letters.

Advanced Options - Activates the ISO9660 advanced options dialog. See Advanced ISO9660 Options for more details.

Step #7

Select the required "Recording Options" (the software is shipped with the most common options already selected)…

Track Mode - Specifies the track mode (MODE1 or MODE2) that the ISO9660 image file is to be written with. Note: The MODE2 option is used only for special applications and is not supported by some recorders.

Disc Type - Specifies the disc type that is used when finalizing/closing a disc. A disc should be finalized based on the mode of the first track recorded to the disc. If the first track on the disc was written in MODE1 format, then "CDROM" should be selected. If the first track was written in MODE2 format, then "CDROM-XA" should be selected.

Speed - Selects the recording speed.

Write Postgap - Write a 150 block postgap at the end of the track. This option is highly recommended when recording any ISO9660 image file.

Test Mode - Sets the recorder in write emulation mode. This option disables the recording laser, so that the blank disc is not actually written to. This option can be used to test your hardware for proper operation without wasting a disc. Note: On most recorders, you are required to eject the disc and reload it between a test recording and an actual recording.

Finalize Session/Disc - Finalize the current session after writing the track (the disc will not be readable on a regular CDROM drive until it is finalized).

Open New Session - Open a new session on the disc after finalizing the current session (this keeps the disc open, allowing more sessions to be added in the future).

Step #8

Put the writable disc into your recorder and click on the "Start" button.

Last edited by zedy; Aug 07, 2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2003, 01:04 AM
Veteran

I never said that any of the programs you mentioned could do anything more than you said. However as I already stated your argument was not what CDRWin could and could not do. If it was then there wouldn't be any argument. But the simple fact is that what you said was that an ISO could not be a CD image, which it clearly can be.

You are the one ignoring evidance. I say that it is possible and you just reply that CDRWin can't do it. So what? What does that prove? Only that CDRWin can't do it which as I said I agree with.
Old Aug 08, 2003, 01:27 AM

I just don't believe this!
This thread was about burning PSX originally

My first reply was - "If you burnt from .iso and not .bin files then it will never work.
PSX games must be copied using a disc image format only, .iso is NOT an image format."

My second reference to this possibility was -

"One trap that a lot of newbie PSX burners fall into is to convert their .bin/.cue file into an .iso using the likes of isobuster.
This ensures their copy will not work, burn the .bin/.cue, do NOT convert."

I also stated that -

"For your information CDRWin was the original and only product designed to create backups of PSX game cds."

CDRwin has two types of images it can create, a.bin/.cue combination (true cd image) or .iso, which can be created from directories on hard drive or cd.
Obviously an image created this way contains absolutely no cd layout information at all.

Goldenhawk pioneered the use of the reference .iso, it pertains only to their product.
Everyone else and his dog took that name (.iso) and applied it to any image file, irrespective of what the true extension of that image file might be.

I have a suggested a possible reason why the original posters problem might exist, all you have done is to continually show your ignorance in matters pertaining to PSX game backups and burning, and haven't posted a single helpfull reply.
It is not a moderators job to argue about things he knows nothing about, or is it?