CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 08, 2003, 04:59 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Yes, the question was/is about burning PSX.

It is possible that they had an ISO file or as you suggested were just calling it an ISO when it was BIN/CUE, CCD, MDS or whatever.

You said that if it were a .ISO file then it would not work. I simply stated that it was possible to create a .ISO of a CD and therefor to say that it would NEVER work was wrong.

Then you started going on about CDRWin when we have no idea whether or not the said .ISO was created using CDRWin or whether there even is a .ISO.

So to sum up. .ISO created with CDRWin will never work. .ISO of unknown origin may or maynot work.

As to whether other products capable of creating .ISO images are not truely creating ISO's, I have no idea. Both XviD and DivX comply to the ISO MPEG4 specs, yet neither is the same. So I guess if the ISO 9660 standard is also reasonably broad then both could conform to the standards.

Also, I have a feeling that adaptec could have been using .iso before GoldenHawk were.
Old Aug 08, 2003, 01:10 PM

zedy, could you just clarify the meaning of the words "cd image" for me, please. cos, lets just say i have a cd here with a single mode1 data track on it...afterall, a cd _is_ a cd, doesn't matter what's on it, and it would be foolish to only include mixed mode cds in this experiment anyway!, wouldn't it?. now, i can dump an image to iso off this disc no problem at all. so, why is this not a "cd image" then?...

i allways thought that iso was a kinda universal image format?..so that an iso made with one software can be burnt with another?...prolly wrong tho, but if i'm not then what difference does using cdrwin make!?...

from oxford reference:

iso- comb. form equal. [Greek isos equal]

ISO International Organization for Standardization, the body by which international standards are established for everything from data-processing equipment to machine screw sizes. It was founded in 1946 and its members comprise national standards bodies in over 70 countries. It is of interest in the area of information processing in that it establishes the standard link protocols, coding standards, machine-readable media-interchange standards, etc., that are required to make it possible for data to be communicated electronically between equipment of various manufacturers and from various countries.

__
arthur_p_huxake

p.s. anyways, zedy, why do you seem so angry about this?...calm down :-)

p.p.s. lee2929, don't know too much about ps2 images, but goodluck with your problem.

p.p.p.s.!!...forum, i was gonna start this post adressing both celtic and zedy with sommat like this...fuksake, wot is it with you two arguing like a pair of benders!!...lee only wants to know how to burn an iso!?...but then i thought that i'de better not, every fuker will hate me instead if i did that!...heheh :-)
Old Aug 10, 2003, 03:20 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by zedy [/i]
[B]Just because you created a bin file and gave it a name which included .iso doesn't mean it is an iso file.
If you don't use CDRWin then why are you getting involved in this conversation?
Using CDRWin you can create an .iso file or a .bin/.cue combination of an PSX game.
The .iso will never work, the .bin/.cue will. [/B]
*cough* an iso is an image file! If you've ever no-modded a game or made your own kits you'll be familiar with isos as the preferred format of cd image. When you make your own ripkit a program called iml2iso is frequently used, this program creates your cdimage as an iso. Yes the iso image will not boot on most PS2 is burnt with Nero or similar but this is because the right settings haven't been used. For best results with an ISO image, either make a cuesheet, or if it's a CD-R then use CDR-Wins 'Record ISO9660 Image' using CD-ROMXA and Mode-2.

Note how it is [b]Record ISO9660 Image[/b] and not anything else. PS2 isos must be in this standard, not Joilet, not UDF nor any other file system.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 03:24 PM

Binfiles work too, but they are usually upto 100mb larger than an ISO! I think this is to do with data that the PS2 sees as necessary and CDR-Win reinserts this information into the ISO, while with a Binfile it is already present, hence the extra room it takes for a binfile. This is just my opinion, but believe me, most of my games have all been burnt from created ISOs or extracted images which have been in the *.iso format using IsoBuster or similar programs.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 04:55 PM
Veteran

LOL LMAO Zedy your a dick! a .iso file IS an image file! Ive just read the whole argument between you lot and celtic_druid was right all the time. And lol dnt start calln me newbie 99% of my posts are from the ps2(was psx) Backup section which involves .iso files and .bin files and .mds files and most other image files. lol
Old Aug 10, 2003, 07:05 PM

I just love all these newbies.
First off they get PSX and PS2 confused, after all final fantasy origins is a PSX game.
Second I suggest any of you half baked Einsteins make a proper .bin/.cue file of this game, convert it to .iso with bintoiso - a program a lot of PSX people use, and then try and explain why the burn from .iso didn't work but the one from .bin/.cue does.