CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 09, 2003, 03:55 AM

Unhappy <Home Network - Internet Connection Sharing - IP problem>

sponsored links

Hey,

Heres the deal. I have two computers running XP and I have successfully managed to network them, so the PCs have access to files on each other. The next step is trying to enable ICS, but I have struck a problem.

First of all, heres my setup
  • [b]DSL-500 D-Link ADSL Router[/b]

connected to
  • [b]An NIC on the host computer.[/b]
  • [b]Another NIC installed on the same machine[/b]

which is linked via crossover ethernet cable to
  • [b]NIC on laptop.[/b]

As I say, the network works correctly.

When I right-click my "LAN" connection in 'Network Connections', and choose Properties > Advanced, then check the "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection" box, and OK, it thinks for a second then says
Quote:
[i]An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.

Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled.
A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.
[/i]
I've had a bit of a search through various forums and I have my IPs set up like so
  • [b]NIC connected to router[/b] - Obtain an IP address automatically. It seems if I try set my own then the net don't work.
  • [b]Host Computer's NIC[/b] - 192.168.0.15
  • [b]Laptop's NIC[/b] - 192.168.0.5

This is the first time I've tried networking PCs up, and I'm confused. Are there any gurus out there that have some advice?

P.S. I used to access my router's configuration utility by entering '192.168.0.1' in IE

P.P.S. I'm on an ADSL connection.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 04:28 AM
Veteran

The first bit of advice is that this should be in the [URL=***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36]CSec Forum

Second is NAT enabled on your D-Link Router?
Why use those IP addys?
Old Jul 09, 2003, 06:10 AM

In the router config 'NAT function' is enabled.

No reason for the IP addresses, I just wanted them different. Is it better to have them sequential one after the other ?
Old Jul 09, 2003, 08:37 AM
Veteran

I think that having them sequential is more manageable from a troubleshooting, administration point of view,
You should be able to configure the router for an IP addy, what happens when u try that?
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:17 AM
Banned

lol, how many port does your router support? man, if you have got a linksys router, it would be much more simpler than this...

anyways, i'm kinda confusing right here, if you only link 2 computer together, why do you have to use ICS, i meant, you only need to use the router to connect two computer together and setup those two PC using the router software s hehe.........
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:57 AM
Veteran

Moving to Networking section...