CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 09, 2003, 11:29 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

If you've got a router then you should not need to enable ICS. The ADSL modem should be connected to the router not a computer.

Your ADSL modem should be connected to the WAN\ADSL port on the router. All the computers (and laptop) should be connected to the other ports on the router. Do not use crossover cables. Configure each system to obtain an IP address automatically and the router will supply the IP addresses.

Last edited by QWERTY; Jul 09, 2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 02:20 PM
Veteran

my thoughts exactly although on looking at the router specs, it appears, and would have been a valid point to include, that the router only has one port.

so ICS is the way forward i think.

have a look at www.practicallynetworked.com for help on setting up and troubleshooting ICS.

HTH, T.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 04:00 PM
Veteran

It totally defeats the purpose of owning a router if you have to enable ICS...

If the router only has one LAN port then the best solution is to just get a cheap network hub\switch and plug it into the LAN port on the router then plug the computers into the hub. That was what you are suppose to do with single port routers.

A cheap 4 or 6 port hub can be picked up for under $30 US so cost shouldn't be a significant factor. Hardware internet sharing is a much better way to go then software ICS.

Last edited by QWERTY; Jul 09, 2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2003, 06:10 PM

Hmm, thanks. Yeah the "router" just has one port. I think I may pick up a hub, especially if its a better way to go than software ICS.

Thanks for your help, anyway. Grr