CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 15, 2003, 02:07 PM

sponsored links

It seems my plan of attack is in order. Check the compatibility of my games on another chipped xbox. If they don't work, try a new version of Nero ore Recordnow Max. I should be able to get those from someplace. If the movies do play, then I have to take my xbox apart and my buddy's and see if his drive is different. However, even if it is, that doesn't explain why a Verbatim DVD+R with Outlaw Volleyball on it plays just fine while a Verbatim DVD+R with Tommy Boy on it comes up unrecognizeable. The difference would have to be in the way discs were made. Games are an ISO file and movies are made using the DVD Video option. I guess I'll stop banging my head against the wall and see how my trial with another Xbox goes tomorrow night.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 07:20 PM
Veteran

If Tommy Boy will fit on a single DVD-R (no ripping, no compressing, ect.) then you can just use DVD Decrypter in ISO mode and it will work just fine. Simply read the disc in ISO mode to the computer's HD and then write it back to a blank DVD-R in ISO mode as well.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 07:49 AM

Tommy Boy needs to be compressed, as do most flicks. I've found very few films that have all the menus and extras included and still come in under 4.7 gig. Therefore, I'm either having to seriously compress the whole thing if I want all the extras or I have to reconfigure the movie if I want just that off the DVD. Hopefully I'll know tonight if my solution is just a simple change of versions of Nero or switching to another burning program.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 08:14 AM

The results are in and....I'm still confused. I took 4 movies to my buddy's house, comprising all of the different types of discs I've used (Memorex +R, Verbatim +R, Verbatim -R, and Ritek -R). None of them worked in his machine. So I'm thinking it's the way I burned them. I took a movie he burned that worked in his machine, brought it home, tried it, and it worked in my machine. So now I'm really thinking it's the way I burned it that's the problem. I was using Nero 5.5.9.14. My buddy was using something like 5.5.10.15. I went out and find a copy of 5.5.10.42. I uninstalled the old version, installed the new, and burned a movie. I took a copy of The Recruit that I had previously ripped using SmartRipper, compressed using DVD2One, and burned using Nero 5.5.9.14. Since the copy was already compressed I just ripped it again using SmartRipper and burned it as a DVD Video using the new Nero. I burned it onto a Sony DVD-RW just to make sure it worked and not waste a blank. Good thing I did because it didn't work. I thought maybe it was because I was trying to copy a movie that was already copied and burned using the old Nero and maybe something was lost using the old Nero which would make a new copy uncompatible too. So I then ripped Tommy Boy. I have the store bought version. I used SmartRipper. It was small enough that I didn't need to compress it. I took all the files and burned them using the new Nero onto the DVD-RW. Same result, didn't work. I know it's not the DVD-RW I'm using because I've used it many times before when burning games. Sometimes I'll burn a game to that disc to make sure it works before I burn it to a single try blank. So now I'm thinking it's my version of Nero. I guess I'm going to try installing version 5.5.10.35 that I found last night and try that. Does ANYONE have a clue if there's something wrong with version 5.5.10.42 or if something else is going on? The movie my buddy copied worked on my machine so I know it is possible for my Xbox to play burned movies. I just don't know why I can't burn the movie. Anyone?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 09:23 AM

Try using Prassi Primo (latest version) and burn it at 1x speed. Have you removed the encoding off the DVD that you are copying? This has caused me a problem in the past. You will need some software to do this, (sorry, i cant remember the name off hand).
Old Jul 17, 2003, 09:26 AM

By removing the encoding, are you talking about the copyright stuff? I'm using SmartRipper to rip the movie. If it's small enough to copy with compressing it, that's all I use. If the disc is too big, I use DVD2One to compress it down to fit. Between those two programs I get rid of whatever needs to be removed and have been able to watch the movies on my Toshiba player. The process was never a problem until I tried watching them in my Xbox.