CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox > Xbox Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 13, 2003, 01:15 PM

Default Alternative way to flash... (N00b question)

sponsored links

Hello, Im considering getting a Matrix modchip to go with a new Xbox. The only potential problem I foresee is in flashing it for the first time. I can't use the included programmer for a variety of reasons (no printer port, no Windows.) Is there another way to flash the bios for the first time? I guess my real question is can you use FTP or CD to flash the first time or does the chip already have to be flashed to do those techniques.

Also, do new Xbox's have any advantages over refurbished ones (modchip/backup wise)? Thanks!!
Old Jul 13, 2003, 02:25 PM
Veteran

matrix chips come blank, i don't think there's any way to flash a blank chip on a box that's not been modded. somebody can correct me if i'm wrong.
but i believe you'll need the programmer to do the initial flash. later on of course you can flash the bios from evox if you desire, so that'll be nice and easy.
as for the refurb boxes..... mine was refurb, got it for 189.99 back when xbox's were still 300 and it works a charm till this day.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 05:12 AM

Uh... just to be sure, you should check the specs of the Matrix on
xbox-scene.com.

Newer version XBOX's have no advantage backup-wise compared to older refurbs.