CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:39 AM
Veteran

Default Broadband for house

sponsored links

I am a student and will be moving into a student house in a few weeks and we are wanted to get broadband which is avaible in the area. There are 3 of us who wish to share the connection, we all have network cards and no how to set up a network but were wondering what is the best option for the net connection sharing.
would we be able to feed the internet straight into a network hub or would we need to use one computer as a server ?

please let me know .

cheers

M_rsa
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:11 PM
Veteran

Hi M_rsa

As you rightly say you have the option of a hub, well strictly speaking a router or using a PC as a server, plus of course ICS but I would steer clear of that.

I would say to go for the router option, it does everything a server will do for a lot cheaper, such as NAT, firewall, port forwarding, dhcp and acts as a hub so you can network the PC's as well, but obviously doesn't use up a PC in the meantime. Plus you just plug it in and away you go apart from any additional things you want to set up such as port forwarding for running servers.

Costwise they are so cheap now, not sure why people buy hubs, they start from around about 75 or $75 for a fully featured model with web-based config.

HTH, T.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 04:05 PM
Veteran

could u suggest a router to use as i do not know much about them. i only need to for 3 maybe 4 pcs.

M_rsa
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:27 AM
Veteran

Hi M_rsa

Not sure where you are living, country-wise, but this is going to depend on whether you are getting ADSL or Cable.

Probably best to stick with the better known makes such as Netgear or Linksys - have used both in the past for Cable. Also if ADSL try www.seg.co.uk and look at the 2200USB as have had used this and found it good in the past.

If you're in the UK then take a look at places like www.scan.co.uk or dabs.com as they provide most models available.

HTH, T.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 01:32 PM
Veteran

Could you please explain more as to how we would set it up . Would the broadband feed straight into the router and then go to the pcs on the network? Could the same thing be achieved by feeding it into a 4 port network hub?
By the way I am living in the uk, and have had a look at scan but all the routers are far to expensive.

Could you please just post some more info or maybe a link to page which will explain the process of settting up the sharing of internet over 3-4 pcs.

Thanks again

M_rsa
Old Jul 16, 2003, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Ok, this does depend on your access but I'll take it as Cable for now, can explain ADSL costs if you need me to.

Hub/Router - A hub will allow network sharing locally but not routing of the internet. Basically a router, apart from the other advantages like dhcp etc, will route information requests for internet traffic; web, email on the specified ports, direct to the internal ip requestee.

The cable from your provider plugs into the router which synch's with the exchange/UBR to give you a standard external IP address. All PC's then plug in direct to the router which assigns them internal IP's. The PC's would need minimal set-up, unless you need to run servers etc, as they should receive all IP/DNS config from the router.

A hub could only be used if you were using ICS to connect all the PC's to the internet. Even with a server it is not as easy as a router.

The best page, I believe, for this kind of information is www.practicallynetworked.com

My apols for sending you to Scan, probably not the best, have a look at

***********.dabs.com/products/prod-search.asp?action=search&tid=334&mid=468&mid=542&o b=manufacturer&stab=ref

You will find routers from about 50 here which are adequate for what you need.

HTH, T.