CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 16, 2003, 06:44 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Ok i see now, I sorry if i seem dumb but have not done much networking, if we were able to go with this option of a router then would we also need to have a hub to share info across a network or can the router act as both a router and a network hub?

thanks again

M_rsa
Old Jul 17, 2003, 03:46 AM
Veteran

Hi again,

The latter, the router is also a 4 port hub as well, some also include a print server - so they are pretty worthwhile if the money is ok.

Cheers, T.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 06:37 AM
Veteran

ok thanx alot for the help.
Now when we do come to getting the broadband in the next few weeks will the tech support guy from the company know how to connect the net to the router and set it up do you think.

M_rsa
Old Jul 17, 2003, 08:47 AM
Veteran

In all honesty the install engineers are data engineers, not PC engineers so will not know how to connect it at all, to the router.

Who are you connecting with? this is important as you may need to register your account. Basically I know NTL's setup as I used to work for them and have used their Cable service for years, but can't really help with Blueyonder. It could also matter on who you are with now - e.g if you are on NTL dialup now then regging the CM account is alot easier.

Let us know who you are going with, Cable wise.

T.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 07:26 PM
Veteran

I think we will be going with blueyonder but we have not really sat down and made the final choice.

I think i should be able to do the setup myself but am not sure as I have never done anything like this before.

M_rsa
Old Jul 18, 2003, 03:30 AM
Veteran

Not too sure about BY but it should be easy enough. Just make sure you get the CM registered with them. You can even try it out on one PC first to make sure it is working, then attach it to the router and connect the PC's up.

Hope it goes well.
T.