CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 17, 2003, 07:41 AM

Default Internet Connection Sharing - ADSL & Win XP/Linux

sponsored links

I have 2 Windows XP professional PCs and have just subscribed to broadband.

I want to use a network cable to connect the two PCs using the LAN cards and then share the ADSL connection between the two PCs to enable them both to be on the net at the same time.

Do i need to create a Local Area Connection with static IPs on both PCs to allow them to share the connection via the LAN cards ? Or do I just have to create the broadband connection on the PC with the ADSL modem in and then tick the "Share this connection" option ? Will the other PC then be able to use the connection via the LAN connection automatically ?

Finally - I am about to buy my ADSL modem and can get either a USB or PCI for approx the same price give or take a quid or so ! Is one more suitable for connection sharing than the other ? And finally, which one would be easiest to use under Linux (either Redhat 9 or Mandrake 9.1) ? I never got my PCI modem to work under linux but it handled some USB devices OK......any thoughts ?

Cheers !
Old Jul 17, 2003, 07:57 AM
Veteran

If you use one of the XP as the connection master, then set it to share the internet, it will in theory turn it into a router, assign IPs to any computers attached to it.

Personally, if you have not purchased a modem yet, then I would strongly suggest that you buy a ADSL modem/router, there can be brought from eBuyer for around 50 pounds, with it, you dont have to leave the master PC on all the time so that the other PCs can access the internet, it will make life a whole lot easier, as it also has a 4 port 10/100 hub build in.

Linux will work with either solutions, but from personal experience, a modem/router would be my personal choice..any day.

HTH
Old Jul 17, 2003, 08:52 AM

Hi thanks - yes Ive seen the Ebuyer 1 port adsl router. Its only 37 - if I bought this would I be able to route to both PCs via ethernet then ?

***********.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&pro duct_uid=48448

I was just confused whether or not one port just meant it had one connection (ie for the main PC ?!) Ive seen the 4 port one for 10 more but I know I will never have more than 2 PCs hooked up under any circumstances !

If so I will go for this as I know for a fact that both RH9 and Mandrake 9.1 will work fine with my onboard LAN card.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 09:11 AM
Veteran

Thats a single port, meaning you will need to buy a hub in order to use more than 1 PC, take a look at QuickFind code: 48449 instead, this is the 4 port version. It will save you having to plug/unplug PC as you need to use the internet on them.

The router simply act like a NAT , assigning IPs out, where OS like Windows or Linux can simply use the build-in DHCP, there shouldnt be anything to config as long as the LAN card is setup correctly on the guest PC.

HTH
Old Jul 17, 2003, 10:43 AM

OK thanks for all your help !

One final thing - I have a long crossover cable which I use to connect my PC to my XBOX, but will I need to use straight through cables to hook my 2 PCs up to the router ?

Thanks !
Old Jul 17, 2003, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Yes, straight patch cable from PC to the router, as the router does the translation without having to cross the wires.

HTH