CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 21, 2003, 02:40 PM

Question maxtor hdd and parition magic probs

sponsored links

Ok i got this new maxtor hdd 160Gb (which i changed from a screwed up 120Gb, nice people at maxtor )

Background
----------------

The reason i changed the 120Gb was because some sections of the hdd were running really slow, so i maxtors powermax test on it came up with some faults so i formatted it. Big time ie low level and restarted xp (the maxtor hdd is slave on primary cable).
When i started xp everything was fine till i loaded up partition magic and BAM computer freezes.
It did this everytime i tried to partition the hdd, oh well and back to maxtor it went (it had some other faults that came up in powermax)

Today
--------

After getting my 160Gb from them (i think they didnt have 120Gb in stock!, i aint complaining )
When i finally found the time to put the hdd, i thought what a pisser if it was going to crash on partition magic again. and guess what it did! bloody thing.

so the question is does maxtor hdd have an aversion to partition magic 8? or visa versa?

computer specs
-------------------

20Gb quantum hdd (master ide1)
160Gb maxtor diamondmax plus 9 (133ata) (slave ide1)
gigabyte mobo 7dxe-3101
2100+ amd athlon
256Mb 2700 (whatever)
tnt2 32mb (ok aint played games in ages)
plextor cd burner (master ide2)
creative dvd-rom (slave ide2)
os: win xp (no service pack, yes i know i need sp1 to get over 137Gb put its nothing to do with that, the drive isnt partitioned yet so xp cant see it, let alone use over 137Gb of it to corupt the data)

thxs hara-kiri

Should i try partitioning the hdd on my other machine then putting it back to this one, would that work? (if pm8 works with it in other machine?)
Old Jul 21, 2003, 03:50 PM
Veteran

Been using PM8 with Maxtor drives for a while without any problem, in fact , any other makes for that matter.

HTH
Old Jul 21, 2003, 05:16 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Yep, Ive never heard of it having a problem with a particular drive. Have you tried formatting using a boot disk instead of partion magic?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 06:38 PM

going to try maxtors partition dos way with maxblast, just need the time to sort it out, cause it will take a long time to run its course no doubt!