CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 04, 2003, 02:14 PM

sponsored links

This was all covered in detail a couple of weeks ago when NCAA came out.

Don't hold your breath for a "DNAS hack" as there is no way to replicate data contained in the boot sector of a disk unless you have a DVD plant and make your own media. I'm sure someone in Hong Kong or China will do this eventually but you won't be patching an ISO to bypass it.
Old Aug 04, 2003, 04:04 PM

What I would like to know is why everyone is so sure that the Dnas is written into the boot sector. Has that been confirmed yet by anyone with experience. I have posted quite a bit on this topic about results I personally found, but only got as far as I could with limited knowledge on the subject. One thing I did do was open the DNAS270.img file on the game with hex workshop and notepad. With notepad most was jibberish, but there was some info that looked similar to the old DVD checks done when ripping a DVD onto Cd. It also appeared there was some reference to bootup time, which is what I believe to be the reason some modchips allow originals, and some dont. Flame me if you think what I am saying is dumb, but I think that someone with hex string knowledge can find the DNAS checkpoints, and alter them the same way they did the DVD media check when ripping games. In that case even if the DNAS was checking for something in the boot sector (which I dont believe), if the string was changed to say that even if it doesn't find the proper DNAS code to CONTINUE ANYWAY , it wouldn't matter. I found quite a few strings in the SLUS that appeared to be either DVD or DNAS checks, but that is as far as my knowledge and resources of blank DVD's will get me. I truly believe this is the direction to go but an expert is gonna have to get us there. Later
Old Aug 04, 2003, 09:51 PM

There are a few articles that speak on the technical aspects of DNAS & Sony's implementation floating around on the net. They gave the impression that there was some part of the authentication process that couldn't be replicated on downloaded copies, i.e. in an area that couldn't be written to by consumer writers.

MS has gotten around pirated copies on Xbox Live and I don't see any hope of that being cracked (nor do I want to see it happen, it would ruin Xbox Live!). Sony isn't the dumbest kid on the block so I imagine they will be able to figure out a like way to secure their online product
Old Aug 06, 2003, 08:50 PM

Default but........

couldn't the dnas check easily be beaten with a new modchip that can "inject" the code dnas asks for at the time it asks for it? i mean, come one, if it is engineered, it can be reverse engineered and hacked. all you pessimists need to throw your systems out of the window and take up badminton as a hobby.
Old Aug 07, 2003, 05:44 PM

I dont know, but I wish I would of read this thread before I wasted $6 buying this game, oh well... guess I can practice.
Old Aug 07, 2003, 08:24 PM

Yea like the modchip DMS??? Upgrade the bios any ideas people???