CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 04, 2003, 10:47 AM

Default Fix your V4 ps2 DRE & bad mod install

sponsored links

Hello guys and gals...
I am going to start adding repair info on the various versions of ps2 starting with the infamous ver. 4 ps2....
if anyone has any other questions please post a reply here and ill answer the best i can...
I have repaired so many of these things and instaled so many chips i feel i can help anyone who may need it....
so lets begin ..
version 4 ps2 repair.
situation 1:
You are able to play cd games but no dvd , or vice versa...
Or are getting a Disk read error.
this is a very common prob with the v4 units... but is also very easy to fix.
in most cases it will turn out to be that the laser head is dirty or needs caloibration...
but i suggest first trying to scuff the white disk spindle...
first remove the lid and look at the top of the drive housing.
there you will see a hole with the white top spindle.
you can carefully remove the black ring sticker holding it in place and remonve the white spindle.(on later vers of the ps2 you have to remove the 4 screws to get at the spindle but not v4) Now that you have it removed you need to take a small piece of sand paper and buff the bottom of it ...(the side that is making contact with the disc)make sure you clean all dust off of it before reinstaling it...
This should eliminate disk slipage thus ending 45% of all DRE probs out there... the other 55% is laser calibration.(please check my thread on V4 Laser Calibration)

situation 2:
you have installed a no-soldier chip in your ps2 and get no more power..

This one is a bit of a task but it is not that hard to do..
by installing the chip and not pushing it all the way in you have blown your fuse on location PS1(marked on the mainboard).
this can be replace with a similar fuse from another unit OR you can take the easy way out like i did a few times....
all you need to do is take apart the ps2 down to the mainboard and locate fuse ps1..
then take a smal peice of tin foil and patch it snug over the fuse..(it is VERY small). now place a piece of clear tape over it to hold in place...this will fix the prob and unit will function fine now, HOWEVER you must alays use a surge protector in conjunction with your ps2 now since you dont wanna blow the next fuse in line... as long as you use a surge protector your fine.(everyone should use one anyway). i have fixed several liike this and this is nos a temp fix .. the ps2 despite what others say is a rugged machine and can take it. after all it is just a fuse....if you have a steady hand you could just lay a thin bead of soldier across the fuse pionts and and jump them..if you have another fuse then i would say install it ... and yes you can piggy back them , no need to remove the old one... just stack the new one on top and hit each side with a small dab o soldier.......
I hope this helps ...
check back for pictures and updates to other versions and other probs and solutions......

PS if anyone is a member at ********** and wants to help me out with refferals i am registered with the same name there....
thanks a million
Old Aug 04, 2003, 12:26 PM

how can u fix this. my eject and reset button dont work at all and i cant open the cd tray i cant even play games anymore. I've got a new eject cabe and still no luck and also got a new eject reset button and no luck either. what should i do.
Old Aug 04, 2003, 02:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by HHH_THE_GAME [/i]
[B]how can u fix this. my eject and reset button dont work at all and i cant open the cd tray i cant even play games anymore. I've got a new eject cabe and still no luck and also got a new eject reset button and no luck either. what should i do. [/B]
I take it there are no lights.

Could be quite a few things

[u][b]Power Faults[/u][/b]

[u][b]Main PSU Primary Side[/u][/b]
Bridge Rectifier Diode goes short and blows Fuse

---------------------------------------

[u][b]Main PSU Secondary Side[/u][/b]
Control Chip pin 4 Shorts

I have seen this blown once on a V4.

[u][b]Main PSU USA/JAP[/u][/b]
Plugged into 240v PSU
Triacs blown, main fuse and plug fuse.

[u][b]Main PSU ok Still No Power[/u][/b]
PS1 Surface mount Fuse blown (Usually caused by faulty/Shorting no-solder mod)

[u][b]Main PSU & PS1 ok Still No Power[/u][/b]
Faulty Ribbon cable

Thats all I can think of at the mo, but there may be few more.
Old Aug 04, 2003, 03:29 PM
Veteran

I'm going to move this into the modchip section as it is better suited for that.
Old Aug 04, 2003, 08:11 PM

yeah there are no lights. is there anyone who can be trusted and can check it and fix it for me thankx.
Old Aug 05, 2003, 03:03 AM

my friend had the same problem..
i notice the cable was intact, the fuse on the power supply was not blown..
However the modchip installer left 2 thermal pads (instead of one) on the b6a***fm chips... and i couldnt unscrew mobo cover to check it out... however i suspect the mobo is dead since it is bent out of shape because of the 2 stacked thermal pads...

this was a v7 ps2 w/ a messiah installed, and it worked for 5 weeks then it died... i have now taken out the laser and put it on my badly worn out v4 and all is well...