CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 09, 2003, 02:23 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Yup I D/L anti-trojan and it seems to work okay but I simply cannot close the port that is being used for the Trojan despite my best efforts. I would prefer to D/L a program rather than have a direct scan because my comp will start freaking out every 2-3 minutes so it doesn't give me much time before I have to shut off my comp. I have limited access to another machine right now so I will be doing everything through it until I can figure out how to save my comp. *EDIT* I tried Tauscan and it didn't pick up anything. I can't seem to close the open port and that is the problem. BTW does it make sense that this thing is poping up both online and offline? Also would a complete system recovery fix this?

Last edited by jesterrace777; Aug 09, 2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:56 PM
Veteran

OK first what OS is this?
Second you need to identify the Trojan. Have you detected what it is?

If you know what trojan it is, then search a site such as ***********.sarc.com/ for a specific removal tool

If this is XP I'd try a System Restore to an earlier point you can live with. Say before you made your last major software install. THis will work as long as the tojan resides on a monitored drive. And since it should be living in Windows or at least on that drive it will work.

If its not a trojan but a piece of spyware...
I recently read about a piece of software called Spybot, its free & I've tried it out, I can't yet vouch for it being superb but... Find it here ********spybot.eon.net.au/index.php?lang=en&page=about
And it reportedly works very well when combined with Ad-Aware. However if its a trojan your already beyond the power of these 2 softwares.

THere is also
Spy Cop
***********.spycop.com/spycop-free-product.htm

As for Trojans, While The Cleaner from MooSoft would be my first recommendation...
You will find good stuff here including a few listed above and some that were not and are highly recommended by these people
***********.wilders.org/

The problem with this approach is that many of the better written viruses & trojans today are quite smart and able to either hide themselves from software you install after infection or even disable utilities that you have installed prior to infection.
If worse comes to worse the one thing that will truly fix the prob is a full reformat.

As for it working offline, yes some trojans can certainly cause a PC to connect in the backround.

- Hoss

Last edited by Hoss; Aug 11, 2003 at 12:03 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2003, 12:53 AM
Veteran

Okay I am running XP. I have tried a system restore to a point in mid-July however I'm not 100% certain when I actually recieved this file. I'm not sure what trojan it is. I ran a spyware program, Anti-Trojan 5.5, Ad-aware, Norton Anti-Virus 2003, ect. and I still can't get rid of the thing. I will try a system restore to some point several months back and see if that works. It could be that this was a sleeper of sorts and really didn't activate for a little while. I will give spybot a shot. I am really hesitant to do a full reformat as my PC manufacterer were cheap and wouldn't give me a Windows XP disc so I would need to figure out some way to get XP back up and running. I am NOT spending $200-$300 on getting Windows XP programs from the store.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 02:14 AM
Veteran

hi have you tried running your system in safe mode and then run the other programs again
as sometime a trojan will stop them running in normal mode

all so what might help is the service pack of windows xp downloads
this might clear your problem up
all so check out online virus scans too at ********housecall.antivirus.com

other then that not to sure what else to say m8

backup2k1(the name u can trust)
Old Aug 14, 2003, 04:04 AM
Veteran

Hoss, please e-mail me, ive been trying to get your attention (via e-mail) but you arnt responding.

[email]neo@digizip.com[/email]

Last edited by copyright; Aug 14, 2003 at 04:00 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2003, 06:10 AM
Veteran

copyright - the chances of Hoss reading this post are slim try posting [URL=***********.**********.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129895]HERE as Hoss has started this post and is regularly checking it - might get a quicker response if he is not answering your mails - he has always answered mine though cannot think why he is not responding