CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 13, 2003, 02:40 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by copyright [/i]
[B]Okay, I just got ahold of this info today.

Once you are infected it blocks you from going to windows update, installing the patch, or updating you windows definitions. [/B]
That is incorrect.

From what I understand, some part of the virus contacts the Windows Update site through the internet connection (hence the inability to hang up whilst the computer is preparing to shut down) and performs a DoS attack stopping almost anyone from getting the patch.

The patch CAN still be run with the MSBlast virus installed and the virus definitions can most definatly be updated as thats one way of ridding your system of the virus (Or it was before Symantec released the cleaner).

And once the patch is installed and you are sure you are clear of the virus, there is no need to block those port numbers, especially if you run any form of web or email server as they are ports associated with those. If you have not been affected yet by the hack attempt, STILL INSTALL THE PATCH! It is still a mjor security hole in the Windows NT code and you dont need to worry about port blocking.

Last edited by Memphis; Aug 13, 2003 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 07:56 PM
Veteran

Oops, well im partially correct, it still blocks you from accessing windowsupdate.com. You can still install the patch just not be able to access the site. An easy way to get around this restriction is use the task manager and close msblast.exe
Old Aug 14, 2003, 05:05 AM
Veteran

I cannot download this patch... why not??? By the way... which one do i need for XP Home?
Old Aug 14, 2003, 06:20 AM
Veteran

32 bit
Old Aug 15, 2003, 09:29 AM
Veteran

Well, as always this thread was very helpful. Thanks for making it sticky.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 08:28 PM

The r 5 new variant this will take them out

ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/f-lovsan.zip

it better than the norton one.