CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 11, 2003, 08:52 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down New Virus: Important !

sponsored links

theres a new Virus going around that shuts down your pc...

link for microsoft patch (this will stop it): ***********.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

--

This RPC DCOM worm started spreading early afternoon EDT (evening UTC). At this point, it is spreading rapidly.

more info on: ********isc.sans.org/diary.html?date=2003-08-11

just thought i would let you know

Tom
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:05 AM
suspended

Actually is causes the infected PC to restart not shut down and it launches an attack against windowsupdate.com the microsoft update site.

There's nothing new here, it just reinforces the message to use a little common sense when checking your emails, if it doesn't look right then delete it without opening. When was the last time that an email sent to you out of the blue made a greate positive impact on your life? - never right? so turn up the paranoid-meter a notch and blow away those "Hi I've been waiting for you all my life and want to bear your children" emails without reading them.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 03:20 AM
Veteran

***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=254055 FYI
Old Aug 12, 2003, 03:33 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Darkman [/i]
[B]Actually is causes the infected PC to restart not shut down and it launches an attack against windowsupdate.com the microsoft update site.

There's nothing new here, it just reinforces the message to use a little common sense when checking your emails, if it doesn't look right then delete it without opening. When was the last time that an email sent to you out of the blue made a greate positive impact on your life? - never right? so turn up the paranoid-meter a notch and blow away those "Hi I've been waiting for you all my life and want to bear your children" emails without reading them. [/B]
hahaha, nice
Old Aug 12, 2003, 07:49 AM
Veteran

It not a virus, its more like a worn [its a variation of a exploit]. This is how the original explit works. You scan an ip range, or a single ip for port 135, it has to be open, then it trys overflowing its buffer [yes i know worded strangly]. If it succeded it drops you into the system shell. Were you gain acess to the comp through DOS, you can do whatever you want, delete/upload/download and even format the computer if you are proficent in dos and in the "net" command. Even though the RPC service runs on port 135, you gain access to the comp through port 4444 as a default, so if you think your being hacked, run a netstat, but if the attacker will smart he will use another widly available tool and select a different port. You can even start and run a ftp server on thier comp. Now, what alot of script kiddies use is add a remote adminstration account and log in, when you do that the victim is loged out and the script kiddie is loged on, they have to do whatever they want pretty quickly before the victim logs back in. And this is were the whole computer shut down effect plays in. This curropts the RPC Serivce, were as the DOS access does not. The RPC service Is a vitial windows service causing windows to shut down, but the automatic shut down can be canceled by going into start, run and entering in "shutdown.exe -a". At which that time you should go and download the patch. This is the biggest hole in windows, afftecting w2k-2k3[server] systems. What the worn does is automate this task, and lets anyone log into their system. And a DDOS atack will be laucnhed on windowsupate.com on the 16 from all infected computers.

I feel that im going to have a sudden influx of e-mails from script kiddies after this article...

Last edited by copyright; Aug 12, 2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 08:47 AM
Veteran

well i dont know much about it, i was just trying to help