CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 12, 2003, 10:29 AM

sponsored links

I suffered from it yesterday and now i'm cured
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:22 PM
Veteran

Yeah I hooked up my super old win2000 box to the internet for the first time in ages yesterday and I got this beast. Aftera quick format/reinstall all is good
Old Aug 12, 2003, 04:35 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by dcm386 [/i]
[B]Yeah I hooked up my super old win2000 box to the internet for the first time in ages yesterday and I got this beast. Aftera quick format/reinstall all is good [/B]
A bit hasty? and how did that sort it?

Still vulnerable without the patch
Old Aug 12, 2003, 05:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by gooner [/i]
[B]A bit hasty? and how did that sort it?

Still vulnerable without the patch [/B]
Well I didn't go into all the details (sorry )

I had to reformat becuase the virus had gone all haywire and my system would no longer boot into windows (I read that it causes instabiliy/crashes on some systems) it would just hang where the desktop icons etc start to load.

When I reformatted I then downloaded the patch on my uninfected XP PC and then installed it from a cd onto my 2000 machine. Oh yeah also I put 2000 SP2 on this time (its the highest SP I have on a CD).

The 2000 machine is not at the min specs for 2000 so I never had a firewall on it until now. However now ZoneAlarm has been installed and so far today in 2 hours I have had 100 attempts by the virus to get onto my system.

EDIT
------
I also forgot to mention that when I found the virus on my computer there was no real information or tools to remove it. All I could find was Symantec's removal method which told me to use NAV to get rid of the file, however (due to memory constraints on this old comptuer) NAV was not installed, nor will it run when it is installed (have tried before)). So at that point my only option seemed to be to reformat.

Now Symantec has a nice little removal tool out, but I still don't know if this would have worked since windows was not fucntioning properly.

Ether way it worked out in the end

Last edited by dcm386; Aug 12, 2003 at 05:52 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 06:44 PM
Veteran

The exploit/worm [ITS NOT A VIRUS, PEOPLE]. Only opens up a back door on your computer and whatever the attacker does with your computer varies on the attacker. They might delete some system files or delete your boot.ini file so you can boot up into windows. But a reformat isnt need, you can boot up onto the windows cd and use to recovory console or just overinstall it. And you data will still remain on the computer. Now remember people the patch was issued at the same time the exploit was publicly released, so all of your problems could of been prevented by a single patch. Most antivirises will not detect this becasue it isnt a virus, infact nothing has to be send to your computer, all they have to do is find peope with open ports and try the exploit on them. A firewall with SPI/NAT is your best help here.

Last edited by copyright; Aug 12, 2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2003, 07:08 PM
Veteran

Okay, I just got ahold of this info today.

Once you are infected it blocks you from going to windows update, installing the patch, or updating you windows definitions.