CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:51 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

I agree, it will do more harm than good - I reiterate everything that has been said above by Zack, Darkman, Insomniac - with regards to unessesary network traffic and I dont like the thought that it trys to find new machines to 'fix'

The other aspect is how would you be able to tell if one is good or bad? it could be recognised as a good one but really it has been disguised and is infact a bad one - basically what I am trying to say is you will never know whether you are coming or coming and what type of virus you will have and in the time trying to work out what it is it will be quicker to actually download the lastest definition/removal tool. Also if your were to release a 'good' virus, some part of the script could activate a dormant virus on someones PC and attach it self to the good one - I thik you can tell what I am saying - That the scripts will get to such an extent that you will just be fighting a more of a endless battle.

Hey Zack, like your new sig
Old Aug 20, 2003, 01:17 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by gooner [/i]
[B]..........- basically what I am trying to say is you will never know whether you are coming or coming......[/B]
I know what that's like all too well
Old Aug 20, 2003, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Sorry a typo, do have that prob as well - coming or going being what I was meant to say!!
Old Aug 20, 2003, 06:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
The other aspect is how would you be able to tell if one is good or bad?
In my opinion, any software that performs any task on any machine that I control without my permission is bad and must be eradicated... That includes users!!
Old Aug 20, 2003, 09:46 PM
Veteran

Would you trust a unknown and strange doctor you do not know to come to your house to treat you regardless to how ill you are or how good he may be ? when the treatment could meant the difference between life or death (aka..BSOD with no recovery options).
Old Aug 21, 2003, 05:21 AM
Veteran

You raise an interesting point, Duffy. I will tell you where I have a big problem though. At my last job, we had some incredibly sensitive servers and workstations that ran VERY proprietary software. One could not just load a patch on these systems. Normally, if an OS patch needed to be applied, it would be sent down by the developers along with a corresponding patch for the application itself. In a lot of cases, the patch (the patch for Blaster in this case) would actually break very critical software systems. Until such corresponding software patches could be sent out to us, we would have to fend off worms, etc at the perimeter via firewalls or router ACL's. That was the only option. A worm that goes out and automatically installs a patch for an OS vulnerabilty could very easily do more damage than if that vulnerabilty were leftin place and exploited.

Anyways, the notion of a "good" worm is intriguing to be sure!

Zack