CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:02 AM

Default s video connection

sponsored links

I am considering connecting my PS2 through S Video. I currently connect using just the a/v cables.

My question is : Is the cheaper PS2 s video connector at Walmart ($9.99) as good as the official Sony PS2 s video connector ($29.99)?

And is there alot of noticable difference between the quality using s video compared to a/v cables? Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:23 AM
Veteran

Definitely go for the cheaper brand. The sony brand is probably a little more durable but there is absolutely no difference in quality between the cheaper one and the brand name Sony. I wouldn't say there is a huge difference in the picture quality but I would say it is worth $10 if you have an S-Video plug in.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:10 AM

well, here is a very quick lesson on AV cables. There is a major jump going from composite (the yellow video cable) to an svideo cable. Why do you ask? Bear with me on this one....

tv signals are sent in black/white and the color information is sent in globs along the line. So, basically it sends a b/w picture and the tv has to pull out the color information when it is sent along a composite video cable. It is just one wire, so it has to send all that information along one wire. Now, an S-video cable has seperate lines for the b/w and the color so your tv doesnt have to seperate anything. It is done by your ps2 and your tv just puts it all together, so you get a much better picture.

Now, the difference between a cheap and expensive cable... I'm not sure what cable sony uses, but I find it hard to believe it is 3X better than your basica cable. Some cables have better shielding to keep out noise and interference - but look at it this way. A better cable will make things look better - that is always going to be true. But, is it justifiable to spend $30 when a $10 cable will do the job? Depends on how much better you want it to look.

So, go get the walmart s-video cable